European tour Q school this week

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone following this?

I'm keeping my eye on Robert MacIntryre, I saw him hitting balls at my local range a few years back and I was mesmerised. So I now keep my eye on his progress. He's had a solid first three rounds.

Q school is an incredibly tough way of doing things. I can't see how a one off tournament represents the best measure of who is most suited to the tour, but never mind.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Anyone following this?

I'm keeping my eye on Robert MacIntryre, I saw him hitting balls at my local range a few years back and I was mesmerised. So I now keep my eye on his progress. He's had a solid first three rounds.

Q school is an incredibly tough way of doing things. I can't see how a one off tournament represents the best measure of who is most suited to the tour, but never mind.

Bob is an unbelievable talent, probably doesn't know how good he is. Another who is very down to earth. Fingers crossed he can get his card, Scotland needs some golfing talent, its been starved of it for a good few years. Neil has managed to get his card for next season through the Challenge Tour, hopefully MacIntyre and Syme can do likewise.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I came across him in 2014, the Scotland boys squad were warming up at Tonbridge Golf Centre ahead of the final round of the Henry Cooper Classic at Nizels. They were all having a good time, striking the right balance between a serious warm up and having fun. They were also following the progress of Bradley Neil who was playing the UK amateur final the same day.

Robert finished the 4 round tournament at 15 under, including a -6 final round (the second of the day on the Sunday).

It was clear to me he was exceptional, but I'm sure if I'd seen any of the lads that finished top 5 in that tournament they would have seemed exceptional to me. Clearly, given his performances since he really is a exceptional, feels like a big couple of years coming up for him, trying to crack the professional ranks.

I've got my fingers crossed for him. Might sound a bit weird as I've never really met him, but I'd never seen a lad hit the ball like that before and it made a big impression on me.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its a fairly gruelling way to get your tour card - and seriously well done to anyone who achieves it.

There are plenty of well known names lower down the leaderboard who are clearly not going to make it.

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Laurie Canter for me, as he is my brothers mate.

Just looked at the leaderboard to see he's leading, which is fantastic!

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Incredibly tough. Fair play to anyone that gets through all of that. And even then once you have qualified, life on the tour is not an easy ride by any stretch.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Local lad Steve Webster 👍

Interested on why Anders Hansen is there? Seeing as he retired a few years back and plays a handful of events a year.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Am I right in thinking that everyone that gets through the cut, as a minimum, gets a Challenge Tour card for next year?

The top 25 (inc those tied at 25th), get a European Tour card, but some who are not top 25 will still get invites to 7 or 8 European tour events in addition to the Challenge Tour card?

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Am I right in thinking that everyone that gets through the cut, as a minimum, gets a Challenge Tour card for next year?

The top 25 (inc those tied at 25th), get a European Tour card, but some who are not top 25 will still get invites to 7 or 8 European tour events in addition to the Challenge Tour card?

Yes I believe this is correct. There is also changes to the European tour that suggests that the 25 will get more starts next year compared to other years. Detailed here - http://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/european-tour-reveals-changes-for-2018-season