Endoscopy

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anyone else had one? I had one today and went for the throat spray rather than the full sedation. And all I can say was it was the worst 10 minutes of my entire life. Really painful, felt like I was choking and would have done anything including give up golf for a year to have it stop.

If any of you have to have one, go for the full sedation option.

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had one recently and it was a 'trans-nasal' endoscopy as part of a clinical trial. Wouldn't necessarily be in a great rush to have another one, but it wasn't overly uncomfortable either. I would NOT be happy about having the traditional via mouth endoscopy though!!

FN2

Medal Winner
Visit site
I had one many years ago, down my throat all the way to my stomach and just opted for some spray into the back of mouth. I can't say it was a pleasant experience but I wouldn't be put off having one again in the future.

My over-riding memory even now is the doctor pushing his finger into my face and saying 'you just need to swallow, it's no bigger than this'... 'this' appeared big enough for me!

It was all over in 15 minutes and I was sent home with instructions to start sipping a cold drink until I got feeling back, just avoid hot drinks. It can't have been bad, I left the hospital, jumped on a bus and headed to the snooker club for a couple of hours.

Perry

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes unfortuanatley i've been there, wasn't the most pleasant 5 mins of my life but wasn't the worst. I was given the option of bugger all or some form of medication which knocks you out and you remember heehaw...basically rohypnol (so the doc said). I was in a ward with 3 old dears who all went for this and came back totally out of it, shouting, sitting up then falling back down on the bed etc....i opted for bugger all! Not a pleasant thing at all.

teetime72

Head Pro
Visit site
I`ve had several examinations by camera (both ends).So many in fact that I felt like a star in a Hollywood movie.I had them without sedation and although they could be termed uncomfortable they were never painful.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep had one with the throat spray. Pretty awful I have to say. I thought the tube would be a lot thinner and more flexible.

My wife asked me how it was when I got back to the waiting room but seeing all the other people waiting for theirs I decided not to tell her until we were outside as I didn't want to upset them.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had a knock out sedative and had no problems, the only downside was that I had to stay in the ward a little longer for it to wear off

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've just had a couple of things like this..one down the nose into my gullet/throat and yesterday one down my throat for tonsils removal on L.H.S.plus 3 other thongs at the same time(yes exploring for that horrible little word)
General anesthetic ,kept in overnight,pretty pissed off as wanted my own bed,staff run off their feet but smiling,food looked good but could not touch as on liquids.
Not A nice experience!!!!

mikevet

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had endoscopy (urethroscopy) to look at bladder and prostate. Not painful, especially as local anaesthetic applied to a certain area, but not a particularly pleasant sensation either.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have had several and knocked out every time. Had the camera the other way too after taking the "clear out juice". Saw Lee Evans do a sketch on the effects recently and I was crying with laughter. So funny but so true and brilliantly observed. If I had anymore I though Attenborough was going to turn up and do the narration. That or I was going to charge for access

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had a couple so that my bladder could be examined. Not much fun when they go in through your front pipe work. 1st time there must have been about 3 nurses in the room:eek:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Had one with the throat spray - similar experience to you. Next 2 with the happy juice - best 2 afternoons of my life, although the wife wasn't best chuffed when I asked the Ward Sister for her number and if she fancied a night on the town.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have had a couple so that my bladder could be examined. Not much fun when they go in through your front pipe work. 1st time there must have been about 3 nurses in the room:eek:

Had a catheter when being treated for pancreatitis and not much joy when they stick that in the old chap. Three nurses (male) and one seemed far to keen on proceedings. Good job I was in dire agony and unable to move. Also had a tube through the nose into the stomach to drain out the contents. That really wasn't nice. Not too bad first time as I was drugged up. They took it out as I got better and then I needed it back in. Having to swallow that down was really hard

mouth

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I suffered a heart event a few years ago I was subjected to a trans-oesophagael echocardiogram (TOE) for diagnosis and was given the spray (they didn't give me an option).

A couple of days before that they shoved a camera through my wrist, up my arm, through my shoulder and into my chest cavity (Angiography). It was quite literally the worst experience of my life. The doctor (surgeon?) started with a medium sized catheter which is normally appropriate to the procedure but it was too big so he started pulling it back out to exchange for a smaller one. Whilst pulling it back my vein spasmed effectively trapping the tube in my arm. It was gross. Could see it in there. They were just about to put me under a general anaesthetic and cut it out before it popped out. Once they managed to release it and use the smaller one it was ace being able to see inside myself and when they gave me the barium injection it was a better rush than anything a back alley chemist could provide you with. The whole procedure should take around 30 minutes. Mine was closer to two hours.

Overall, I'd take it in the mouth any day.

Paul_Stewart

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Classic story from one of the doctors I was talking to afterwards. You're not allowed to eat for a few hours before one but there was one female patient who ... ahem.... let's just say had "entertained" her husband at some point more recently.