Employment experts....Enforced holiday at Xmas.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Having been self employed for 20 years, for the last 8 months I have been employed Monday - Friday , 9-5 . I am still in my probation period until 24/12. Paid monthly salaried , 23 days holiday PA

Email today saying that the office will be open 27/12 30/12 31/12 but I am not required on those days so I must take them as holiday.

Now I would rather take my holiday when I choose, especially as the weather is bound to be rubbish.

My question is , is this normal?
Or is it unusual .

D

Deleted member 16999

Having been self employed for 20 years, for the last 8 months I have been employed Monday - Friday , 9-5 . I am still in my probation period until 24/12. Paid monthly salaried , 23 days holiday PA

Email today saying that the office will be open 27/12 30/12 31/12 but I am not required on those days so I must take them as holiday.

Now I would rather take my holiday when I choose, especially as the weather is bound to be rubbish.

My question is , is this normal?
Or is it unusual .
Just like being back in the Army mate. :p

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
as long as they give you enough notice (which they have) then yes they can dictate when you take some of your holiday time, wouldnt say its normal but not unheard of either

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always had to take 5 days of annual entitlement for Christmas shutdown. It's always suited me but others, like you, would prefer not to.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Might be worth putting your name forward to work over that period, they may need some bodies. But maybe reluctant to pay the double time and a day in leu, due for working public holidays.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Compulsory at our place too. The reason is that I work in Sales and none of my customers will want to see me over the Christmas period and I suppose the company doesn't trust people to work 9-5 from home during the holiday period.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
When our kids had grown up and moved abroad, I always volunteered for the 2 weeks emergency standby holiday call out duties [electrical cover ]over Christmas and new year.
Paid a set allowance per week [ can't recall exact amount ] plus days in leu even if not called out.
If called out on a public holiday it was a minimum double time plus your day in leu or triple time [ minimum call out charge 4 hours ]:love: