Electric trolleys with distance measuring display - legal?

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I recently bought a new motocaddy S3 pro, having wrecked Oddsock's trolley after an altercation with a particularly vicous tree root....
It's all singing all dancing with digital distance readings amongst other things.

It has the option of turning all distance reading off in "comp mode" in case you are playing in a comp where DMDs are not allowed at all, but am i right to assume that if standard DMDs are allowed like garmin and sky caddie (but not phone apps) that it would be ok to use the trolley without choosing comp mode?
It only gives distance info like a Garmin, and not inog like weather which is what rules out phone apps.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I recently bought a new motocaddy S3 pro, having wrecked Oddsock's trolley after an altercation with a particularly vicous tree root....
It's all singing all dancing with digital distance readings amongst other things.

It has the option of turning all distance reading off in "comp mode" in case you are playing in a comp where DMDs are not allowed at all, but am i right to assume that if standard DMDs are allowed like garmin and sky caddie (but not phone apps) that it would be ok to use the trolley without choosing comp mode?
It only gives distance info like a Garmin, and not inog like weather which is what rules out phone apps.

Yes its allowed, you can actually get away with far more if its on the trolley than a standalone device (they dont allow you to "turn it off" on a standalone but do on a trolley (ie the slope laser with a changeable faceplate isnt allowed, but youre allowed to chuck black tape on a trolley display)

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't want to turn off the distance travelled info as doing that disables the "walk on" feature which I find quite useful becauase of the layout of many of our holes

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
just to clarify, for those reading the thread at some point against it's title, as Fundy alludes they (trolleys with distance measuring capability - DMDs) are treated differently by the rules.

it's this that seems to confuse many with regard to Smartphones with a DMD app because they are specifically designated as DMDs and not 'phones with a DMD app', and the more stringent (is it present rather than is it being used) rules apply to them.