Electric Trolley... To keep or not to keep!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
So as a few will remember, not long after I took up the game in fact, I got a second hand powakaddy freeway classic electric trolley and powakaddy sports cart bag for my birthday.

It was a great present as I was a member of a hilly long course and it helped me improve my golf. Now I am a member of a VERY flat course the trolley has sat in my inlaws garage for well over a year.

I need to dig it all out, find the battery, see if it all still works and then I am faced with a choice...

Do I use it, maybe buy a new battery if the old one is dead (was on its last legs before as the prev owner had appeared not to have looked after it).

OR

Do I look to sell it on some how? Maybe at my club or eBay? Anyone have any advice from previous experience?

I am not THAT interested in using it again as I am happy carrying but the bag was FANTASTIC for keeping all my stuff with me all the time.

So guys have you faced this choice before? What did you do? What would you do?

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I've just played my last round with a pull trolley and cart bag and I'm going to start carrying, maybe when I'm an old man ill go for a trolley again. Too much fuss and mess involved with trolleys and trolley bans are a nightmare!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd be tempted to find a battery that works for as good a price as possible and keep it. Ideal if you ever want to play away at a hillier course or dare I say it in the summer to conserve energy in the 30 degree heat

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a Powerbug and sold it on the bay for £150 smackers. Bought a Clicgear 3.0 which I use in the summer, carry in the winter.

How easy was it to sell and how did you send it off?

EDIT: Found out my battery is a gonner, oh well.

Decided to sell now, I will sell the bag and trolley seperatly. Of course on here 1st for a week and if no bites then its off to eBay!

Last edited:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do a fleabay search on completed listings to gauge current selling price.
A cart bag is fantastic to load up and now your on a flat course I'd suggest a push trolley but clicgear Stewart powacaddy motocaddy all do good push versions of there battery Trolleys, as a compromise? I got mine as a stop gap until got the cash together for battery version but have since decided I'm quite happy with the compromise trolley cart bag but push not battery.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The money sounds better than having an option, I really like to carry and I doubt I will be playing enough golf to need a trolley.

See you in the FS section :)

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do remember, not so long ago, in GM an article on electric trolleys and how they can help, even a younger golfer, enjoy the game more. I use an electric trolley without the battery on it as I need a new one but I have no worries about using it when I have one.
It helps you preserve your energy, carry more fluids, reduce fatigue and make the game a little easier. The pros have a caddie so why shouldn't you?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
At your age SB a power trolley seems an insult, do you play from the red tees too.

Man up and carry lad

It helps you preserve your energy, carry more fluids, reduce fatigue and make the game a little easier. The pros have a caddie so why shouldn't you?

I am with Oddsocks here, would rather get the extra exercise than possibly shoot a better score. Can only benefit me in the long run :)

One day I will have the cash again but you guys have convinced me.

Its either that or I am addicted to eBay and I am willing to sell anything that isnt nailed down...

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I just sold my leccy trolley and got the Stewart Z3 push trolley and will start using this when the dry weather appears

In the meantime i will carry

Incidently the Z3 will take stand bags very well due to its wider top jaws so i may not need to use my cart bag either

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
flogged my trolley end of last year and carry only for the forseeable. I will get a push trolley once the body demands it, charging batteries is a PITA.

I have a few old injuries that flare up now and again but I feel fine after 18 carrying, if I play 36 somewhere I will just hire one for the day, simples :)

flog it and carry :thup:

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
3 yrs ago when i first took up the game i ruptured my right Achilles tendon playing Football.....I was out of action for the best part of 8 months and my better half bought me a Hill Billy Terrain 2.....I used it for 2 years and did love it......
Last year i decided i wanted to carry to help build the muscle up in my leg after the injury... So i got a Titleist Carry Bag for Christmas...
In February of last year i Ruptured my left Achilles Tendon.....After that healed ( another 8 months ) im still carrying and love it....My Trolley is still sat in the Cupboard though....I wont sell it..Its probably only worth 100 euro or so...Just in case the day comes when i get sick of carrying....But at the moment i find it far more liberating being able to walk anywhere i want with it......Rather than when you miss a green grab the nearest wedge and your putter and leave the trolley near the next tee exit point...I can bring the bag and at least choose the club for the shot in hand.... Simples.:lol:

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I found that when I carried I started to get tired towards the end of a round causing me to start hitting bad shots, moved over to a leccy trolley and that went away. Got fed up of charging every weekend and got a clic gear for Xmas, it's so much easier as it is so light you can give it a good push and it will keep on going for 15-20 yards .

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I carry all the time. I used to have a Motocaddy but sold it as it just wasn't being used. I tried a pull trolley but that had an adverse effect on my dodgy shoulder. I switched to a carry bag as a temp measure but was amazed at how little of an effect it had on my game. I feel just as fresh after carrying as I did when using the Motocaddy. It's also had no real effect on my dodgy knees (too many years playing rugby).

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
I got myself a second hand Powa kaddy when I had to have my knees operated on. I would prefer to carry but on hard fairways in the summer when carrying my knees give me lots of trouble. I still carry when it's soft during the winter. I find it a lot easier to keep your clubs dry when using a trolley though.

El Bandito

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Three years ago, I switched from a push to an electric. As my course was quite hilly, I did find a difference over the last few holes. I moved to a flatter course, and started carrying last summer. I did start feeling some lower back pain...although I have a feeling that this may have been related to new shoes. So, I am back to the electric, and my handicap seems to be moving the right way again. In the perfect world, I prefer carrying, but it can be a PITA when it's raining and those days where you find you need to change outfits etc...you end up looking Sherpa Tensing!

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have a really nice powered trolley that I have been using for the last couple of years, but over the last few months I have taken to carrying. In the winter muddy conditions I find it bit of a pain to have to clean the damn thing before putting it in the car. Not only that, I have to hump it out of the garage and put the several pieces into the boot, then take them out again and assemble it when I get to the Club, and repeat the process after playing. I'm not saying the I won't use it again, but I have taken to carrying a reduced set of only nine clubs and I feel it's easier. I'm wearing my waterproof suit this weather so I don't have to carry that, also with the bag on my back I can put my hands in my pockets to keep them warm. I don't think I finish any more tired than when I used the powered trolley, and I'm 76.