Elderly neighbours

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a busier afternoon than planned today...

Got alerted to the fact that my elderly next door neighbour wasn't answering the door today,despite being supposedly in. Her curtains were closed (2pm). Went round the back and hopped it over her garden to check doors and windows etc only to find kitchen curtains closed as well.

After a bit more digging with a near neighbour I'd found out that she was well yesterday and had been seen. Anyway, after another hour of non-response and with an ever increasing temptation to break in, having no details of a key holder to call, the police were called.

30 mins later they turn up, I have a chat with em, give them some background. They source her phone number and call her....she answers after a few attempts. God bless her, she'd had a fall and couldn't move at all well. Out comes the battering ram and an ambulance was called. They tried to call again but it was engaged so they started to get worried so BANG, the door went through (after several attempts) and in they went.

Turns out she'd been on the floor since sometime yesterday evening until 3pm today, having had no food or fluid. Happily, she'd had her fire on when she fell so it was really, really warm but dread to think how she would have been without it.

We don't really know her too well, don't really see her but always conscious of her vulnerability. Anyway, even if your elderly neighbours complain that you're standing in the wrong place on the tee, or that your tv is too loud etc, the moral of the story is to keep your eyes and ears out for those vulnerable residents in an around you. Her front door is a right mess but her family have now been informed and she's safe in hospital with no serious injuries, expecting to be released in the next few days.

I got more satisfaction from the end result today than I do from most if not all of my, 'good job days', Mon-Fri.

D

Deleted member 15344

That's great she is ok in the end and great work for yourself

D

Deleted member 17920

Nice one, good to know that people like you still exist :thup:

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good stuff and glad she is o.k. Does beg the question though if they should be living alone without any monitoring, perhaps warden controlled residential areas. My old granddad moved into one of these any was never happier. Any problems pull the cord or press the buzzer and they were straight round to see what was the matter

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well done Odman. The house next to us is up for sale. Sounds like you would make the perfect neighbour and we could share transport to the golf course.

I stop short at Ring n Ride ;) but I guess I was trying to just gently remind everyone to keep observant. I was alerted to the fact that she wasn't responding, rather than being the observant one (although I hadn't been out at all on Sat and I can't see her kitchen window from my house).

Her relative popped round this afternoon to say thanks and left some phone numbers. She's refusing (or can't) walk at the moment but the worst thing is that her worst injury is a broken arm that has been broken for over a month. I feel really guilty about this now as I delivered her a hamper a week before Christmas and noticed her hand was 'folded' under her forearm. She told me that she'd had it treated and it was getting better but at the time, I wasn't aware that she had dementia setting in. Turns out she aint been to hospital for months and months. This probably had some bearing on her fall :(.

And tomorrow morning, my missus will go back to work and nurse her as she'll be on her ward!

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well done Odvan!! That's a great job you did there......
Looks like it's been a week of good deeds....I found a wallet in the entrance to our road the other day. Looked inside for clues but didn't recognise the owner from his driving license picture, and the address was in Bicester. No telephone contact details, but there was a student union card and various credit/store cards.......rang the police to see if anyone had reported a wallet missing.....no-one had, so the plan was to drop it off at the police station.
Did a bit of googling first and found what looked like his facebook site, but not much activity on there......then googled a bit more and found that he had a website because he was a music composer....there was a mobile number on the website so I rang it and he answered......turned out out he was round the corner visiting friends and hadn't even noticed his wallet was missing!!!!

5 mins later a very grateful owner was re-united with his wallet.......not as important as Odvan's good deed, but like him, I spent the rest of the day feeling pleased with myself......