Educational Video from Trackman analysis

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
[video=youtube;pdPXkAO8UlU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdPXkAO8UlU&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

What do people think, few decent video, several top Coaches give good comments on twitter. Worth a look

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only 6 mins in to the video and the Pro that is talking says the club he is holding is a 5 iron, where at 2:34 you can clearly see he's holding a 7 iron. lol

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
2 mins in a started to doze off!

^
^
^

LOL, I joined in Apr 2009 saying the same thing as the video and this has been the response to everything I've said since then....... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Admittedly some people DO take this stuff on board and find a new awareness in their game, swing and practice.

The video however is still slightly confusing (open to misinterpretation),..... it is OK to hit down on a driver, it is OK to swing level and it is OK to swing up... it depends what loft you have and what you are doing with the clubface (and/or the path). To try and get everyone to swing up isn't necessarily correct.

Whatever book it is that he is referring too must be bollox.... don't read it! :mad:

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
The video however is still slightly confusing (open to misinterpretation),.....

One of the first lessons I had the instructor wanted me to hit down on the ball, her reasoning being I needed to compress the ball into the ground in order to make it spin up the club face.

ONe of the things he did say does ring true, a tour pro could potetnially hit a 9 iron 180 - 190 yds, why because as the video man said the ball is played back in the stance the hands move forward and the loft of the 9 iron becomes an 8 or 7.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Let's just be clear.... this guy works with Grant Waite who happens to be a S&T prodigy from the Bennett/Plummer stable :whistle:

All cleared up.... :D

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe just your eyes, I wasnt paying much attention to the club he was holding, more what he is talking about.

I bet you read the sun.:ears:

Check it out, the timings are there

And what's wrong with The Sun, the similarities between it and here are pretty close, The Sun has Dear Deidre and we have The Lounge :D

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
One of the first lessons I had the instructor wanted me to hit down on the ball, her reasoning being I needed to compress the ball into the ground in order to make it spin up the club face.

There's nothing wrong with hitting down, it's a natural (and correct part) of an iron swing (swing is a downward arc that has a low point), the reasoning behind it has been misinterpreted. The ball never compresses into the ground, it is never 'trapped' these are just expressions that people have taken literally.

You certainly wouldn't ever want to hit UP on an iron and level is often very 'hit and miss' so you'd advise somewhere between 0-5 degrees downwards if possible to 'guarantee' a better/more consistent contact.

With reference to spin what's the point of spinning a 7 iron 2000rpm and it going 150yds when you can hit down on it and have it go 165yds ALSO with 2000rpm? :whoo:

Hitting down DOES create more spin but only if you maintain the loft eg 20 degree of loft hit down at 5 degrees is 25 degrees of spin loft, whereas 20 degrees of loft hit down at 1 degree is only 21 degrees of spin loft (with a higher launch)... so technically higher launch with less spin....good for no-one ;)

It's all in the interpretation. :thup:

A

Alex1975

Yep, all very interesting and all correct as far I have been taught/learned. As Justone says though, he does get a little confusing with some of what he says. I read the ball flight laws at length and had Justone clarify my understanding of a few points. I don't mind admiting I find this stuff pretty interesting and some understanding of it very helpful.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hitting down DOES create more spin but only if you maintain the loft eg 20 degree of loft hit down at 5 degrees is 25 degrees of spin loft, whereas 20 degrees of loft hit down at 1 degree is only 21 degrees of spin loft (with a higher launch)... so technically higher launch with less spin....good for no-one ;)

It's all in the interpretation. :thup:

One thing that I dont get. If you hit down at five degrees your hands will be in front of the ball(as they should be). So reducing the face angle, from 20*-5*=15*. What am I missing explain please?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
One thing that I dont get. If you hit down at five degrees your hands will be in front of the ball(as they should be). So reducing the face angle, from 20*-5*=15*. What am I missing explain please?

Ok, you have to take into consideration the shot you are playing and your aim, let's say you hit a fade and open the face (in reference to your stance line), that might take the loft on your 7-iron from 20 to 25 degrees so it will still have 20 even if you deloft it.

You can also do things like weaken your grip and/or spin the club open a little like you might do with a wedge/sand wedge and yet still swing down steep whilst retaining the loft.

There is some interpretation/manipulation/alternatives to anything however the video tries to consider the 'rights and wrongs' as best as it can in a short time.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get all that. But that is really like turning a 7 iron into a 8 iron. I was looking at it from a normal swing, grip and square club face at impact.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Sure but all the talk of lofts and spin angle is assuming only the one (constant) shot shape.

With irons, I agree, it IS 'splitting hairs' as you'd hardly want to change from hitting a 7-iron 2 degrees down to suddenly trying to hit it 10 degrees down (for arguements sake) although changing from draw to fade certainly allows for 'spin options'. It is possible to add a couple of degrees with subtle changes ie: ball slightly back but less forward shaft lean (would reduce lag but add spin control).

However, with driver it wouldn't be unusual to get someone at -3 and someone else at +5 degrees even for the same shape of shot let alone wherether they hit draw/fade.

Trackman (and indeed the whole swing) is really a physics/numbers game.... you still have to produce the correct swing :D

Last edited: