Ebay - how bizarre

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

I sold a putter on evilbay last night, advertised with a buy it now price of £125. 10 minutes before the ending time, someone bid £124. Then bidding continued, finished up selling for £139. Gotta love the fact the world is full of idiots :D

Wolf

Visit site
That happens so often on Ebay, people get wrapped up in the bidding war not wanting to lose out. If they only took the time to read what's in front of them they'd save a lot of hassle.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I sold a putter on evilbay last night, advertised with a buy it now price of £125. 10 minutes before the ending time, someone bid £124. Then bidding continued, finished up selling for £139. Gotta love the fact the world is full of idiots :D

I've had that on eBay

Pair of shoes ...buy now £25

Someone ended up paying £30 lol

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

stop posting on here and hurry up and get my new wand posted ;)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As a pretty experienced Ebayer - that normally sticks to a Snipe bid, I thought I was pretty immune to bidding wars! Not so!
I 'collect' 3 brands of watches, one of which is a 'sub 'brand'. A watch came up a couple of weeks ago that was almost identical to my 'every day' one. My offer was declined but I put a bid in for pretty much the same amount. Along came another (experienced) member who eventually overtook my 'Max', so I raised my Snipe to something I was almost certain would win. Not so!
Resolution...Avoid hassle and simply use Snipe - set at a reasonable+ value! I figured 'the opposition' had set a bid that, (s)he believed, ensured would win. If I'd not created a 'bidding war' I'm pretty certain my Snipe would have won - and at a significantly lower price!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know it used to work this way

If you set up both as an auction and a BIN, the BIN used to disappear with the first bid unless you had a reserve price and would disappear if the reserve price was met.

I often used to bid very silly small amounts so the BIN disappeared to leave an auction only.

Does it still work that way.
For years now I have simply started my auctions at the minimum I would take or as a BIN without auction.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

I know it used to work this way

If you set up both as an auction and a BIN, the BIN used to disappear with the first bid unless you had a reserve price and would disappear if the reserve price was met.

I often used to bid very silly small amounts so the BIN disappeared to leave an auction only.

Does it still work that way.
For years now I have simply stated my auctions at the minimum I would take or as a BIN without auction.
I checked the bidding rules and it mentioned what you said. I can't believe that the auction doesn't automatically end when the BIN price is reached :unsure:

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a pretty experienced Ebayer - that normally sticks to a Snipe bid, I thought I was pretty immune to bidding wars! Not so!
I 'collect' 3 brands of watches, one of which is a 'sub 'brand'. A watch came up a couple of weeks ago that was almost identical to my 'every day' one. My offer was declined but I put a bid in for pretty much the same amount. Along came another (experienced) member who eventually overtook my 'Max', so I raised my Snipe to something I was almost certain would win. Not so!
Resolution...Avoid hassle and simply use Snipe - set at a reasonable+ value! I figured 'the opposition' had set a bid that, (s)he believed, ensured would win. If I'd not created a 'bidding war' I'm pretty certain my Snipe would have won - and at a significantly lower price!

I never get snipe. Surely if I set my highest big on eBay it auto bids above others highest bids and putting me just £1 over or whatever ..

I don't get why snipe is different?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I never get snipe. Surely if I set my highest big on eBay it auto bids above others highest bids and putting me just £1 over or whatever ..

because of the time it submits your bid, by using a snipe it gives almost no time for someone to realise youve outbid them and increase their bid

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
As soo
because of the time it submits your bid, by using a snipe it gives almost no time for someone to realise youve outbid them and increase their bid

Works the other way too. I've put in an early maximum bid & seen a sniper bid at the last minute only to discover that my max. bid was higher & have no time left to bid again. Of course, if this was his absolute maximum bid, then the timing of the bids has made no difference.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Whie Fundy replied with one of the advantages of snipe, it also eliminates the 'bidding war' temptation issue that can happen (what I got into) with a 'max bid'.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My Mrs does not use BIN but posts her stuff with a decent minimum price and rejects all BIN offers. Seems to work quite well.
She recently posted two of her old camera's expecting to get around £400. to her pleasant surprise she got over £700.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I never use an automatic sniping tool because I enjoy the adrenalin rush of timing by bid to last possible second.

I have the belief of bidding late and bid the maximum I am willing to pay, if there is already a a proxy bid higher than my maximum so be it.

I learnt a lot from my very first experience of Ebay when I had to sit at the screen putting in bid after bid in the dying minute to actually win the clubs I wanted.

During the years I have seen a lot of shill bidding or bid retraction just to find out what my maximum bid is so I no longer bid early.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
During the years I have seen a lot of shill bidding or bid retraction just to find out what my maximum bid is so I no longer bid early.

I agree, and think this happens quite a lot, many sellers getting 'friends' to up the price once a few potential buyers have started bidding.

If there is something I am after I tend to watch the item and bid last minute with my maximum bid, or if there are are more of the same available, I will bid my maximum price, if that isn't enough I move onto the next one, one at a time, sometimes getting notifications of items won when I have forgotten about them.

Last edited: