E scooters

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
These are presently illegal to ride anywhere other than private property. The Gov are looking into allowing E scooter hire companies like Lime to set up in the UK as a trial, to see how they might work. This would make riding on the road legal (in the trial areas only).

I have been to Vienna, where such things are legal, and it is a mess. Abandoned scooters litter the streets, and are driven with zero care. I had always hoped our laws would prevent this.

Oddly, under the scheme the Gov are looking at, it would still remain illegal to ride your own e scooter, which obviously wouldn't be littering the streets. I guess this would protect Limes business model, but seems a bit two faced.

I would prefer legalising privately owned scooters over hire company ones, but would really rather they didn't bother. These things are too fast, too quiet, too open to idiots, and over all just dangerous, whether on the road, or pavement (fun, granted).

I have also seen electric skate boards in Bournemouth that look cool, but the same applies, not sure they should be legal.

Thoughts?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Seen a few round here recently, not sure how theyre that different to an electric bike really (assuming theyre limited the same?)

As you say though, sounds as though they want to control the legalisation, either allow them or not surely

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
They look fun, for sure, but they were just one more thing to look out for as a pedestrian tourist. Traffic on the other side, trams, motorbikes, bikes, and then scooters going everywhich way.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Seen a few round here recently, not sure how theyre that different to an electric bike really (assuming theyre limited the same?)

As you say though, sounds as though they want to control the legalisation, either allow them or not surely

Not sure about the hire ones, but private ones will do anythinv up to 40mph.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You need to be comfortable with them for them to be safe really

Lad at work has one he uses to and from station. Completely wrong but never been stopped yet
. I had a go in the car park. Sod that.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They are already being used by some to get in and around London, especially fist thing in the morning....no lights helmet and wearing dark clothes. They ride in the middle of the lane, weaving around oblivious to every one else. They should be banned and the Police should clamp down on their and all the other electric gadgets around. Ive already seen cars damaged by them, and guess what....no insurance even if they bother to stop.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They are already being used by some to get in and around London, especially fist thing in the morning....no lights helmet and wearing dark clothes. They ride in the middle of the lane, weaving around oblivious to every one else. They should be banned and the Police should clamp down on their and all the other electric gadgets around. Ive already seen cars damaged by them, and guess what....no insurance even if they bother to stop.

and here we go again, the pour souls in their big metal boxes dont want anyone else on the roads, youre going to be disappointed lol

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
and here we go again, the pour souls in their big metal boxes dont want anyone else on the roads, youre going to be disappointed lol
Since Ive seen them almost take out cyclists and pedestrians, but hey ho it's always the motorist thats to blame.;)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
yeah thats why your original post talks about damage to cars and no insurance not the damage to cyclists and pedestrians
Having seen one of those scooters go into the side of a new car, causing a big dent and scratch why wouldn't I talk about it? It wasn't the car drivers fault, he was stationary in traffic and the scooter didn't stay around.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having seen one of those scooters go into the side of a new car, causing a big dent and scratch why wouldn't I talk about it? It wasn't the car drivers fault, he was stationary in traffic and the scooter didn't stay around.

so basically on your comprehensive experience of one incident "They should be banned and the Police should clamp down on their and all the other electric gadgets around"

as i said, stay safe in your metal box, hope no one scratches it