Dunvegan to Old Course 18th ?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Never heard of the Ernie Els story before, but seems he set a precedent...... I suppose aside from the lad being drunk and stupid, with the shot potential to be quite damaging, and playing a pretty dangerous shot onto the Old Course whilst it's closed on a Sunday, he actually played it pretty well....

The problem for me I think, is now that it's been filmed and put out there, it's going to encourage others and become a thing, which will result in damage or injury at some point. Much as I like Erik, I think this one is pretty irresponsible. He might argue that technically, he was just asking about the story and he didn't do it, but he did encourage it by providing the clubs and filming it. Wouldn't be surprised if he loses future access to some places off the back of this.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
On the second attempt maybe. The first shot looks like it may have gone into or very close to the R&A clubhouse based on where it landed.

I enjoyed the video as a one off but I think it’s a little disrespectful and doesn’t sit well with golf etiquette.

Despite the first one heading a bit right, still think he hit both balls well enough to get up and over the trouble, especially since he was standing half on half off the pavement.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Must admit the idea of people hitting golf balls in a street after a couple of drinks with glass windows and potential ricochets is prett stupid IMO.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I quite liked the video, was pretty cool. Unfortunately with the way the world works these days, it won't be long until the first eejit copycat gets into trouble when they thin one...

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Read what it entails and I won’t bother watching the video. Bloody idiot springs to mind.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Despite the first one heading a bit right, still think he hit both balls well enough to get up and over the trouble, especially since he was standing half on half off the pavement.

Oh it’s a decent strike given the stance and number of pints consumed for sure. ?

But as a very capable Australian amateur I’d expect nothing less.

I’d like to give a go but if caught I’d say goodbye to my links ticket forever.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I mean, EAL is a cockknuckle, but even then...the whole thing is well staged. They'll have had approval fromthe parties required.

First off, the pin is still on the 18th green, on a Sunday. This gets moved to a gap between the first tee and the 18th green on sundays so tourists can have their photos with the flag without risking damage to the 18th green. Secondly, the 'random' australian guy is in the top 50 of the amateur rankings..and it probably took place during the St Andrews Links trophy a few weeks ago.

Releasing it on the day of regional qualifying for The Open?

Coincidence? Don't think so.

A lot could still go wrong, sure...

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First off, the pin is still on the 18th green, on a Sunday. This gets moved to a gap between the first tee and the 18th green on sundays so tourists can have their photos with the flag without risking damage to the 18th green. Secondly, the 'random' australian guy is in the top 50 of the amateur rankings..and it probably took place during the St Andrews Links trophy a few weeks ago.

You’re not quite right about the flag, there have been a number of competitions played on Sundays recently due to congestion leading up to The Open and its been left in position on the green. As you say, the Links Trophy was one of them. Plus the R&A gold medal and St Rule trophies and others have all been taking place on Sundays throughout late May and June.

I think it’s a genuine video and had they sought permission it would have been refused.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You’re not quite right about the flag, there have been a number of competitions played on Sundays recently due to congestion leading up to The Open and its been left in position on the green. As you say, the Links Trophy was one of them. Plus the R&A gold medal and St Rule trophies and others have all been taking place on Sundays throughout late May and June.

I think it’s a genuine video and had they sought permission it would have been refused.

in which case EAL is an even bigger cockknuckle for posting it on YouTube

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
in which case EAL is an even bigger cockknuckle for posting it on YouTube

I’ve never heard of him before, like I say, I quite enjoyed the video.

One other thought. The town is absolutely mobbed with numerous vloggers and TV crews creating various qualities of content lately. It’s an absolute plague. As much as I love The Open and being a golfer here, it’s getting very tiresome seeing the desperation for a LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE. Had this been given approval I dread to think what else would have made muster.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
No way they did it without prior permission! EAL has played all over the world - even Augusta - he wouldnt risk being banned from the home of golf.