Dunlop clubs

Carbon

Club Champion
Visit site
Whats peoples opinions on the dunlop clubs? all of them really wood/irons/putters.

all the clubs i currently have have been given to me for free by the father in law, either ones he dosnt need anymore or found at work ( works at a tip haha ).

im actually after my own clubs now rather than some old ones that have seen better days. i dont really want to spend big money as i have only just started. dunlop ones seem to be pretty cheap.

thanks in advance.

Dave

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I was out with a 27-capper on Friday who hit his Ben Sayers Driver and 5-iron really well (after the first hole), but his (£5) Dunlop 60* even better!

So quite a cheap starter/'see what Golf is like' set, but be prepared to write off the entire cost if you decide to continue/upgrade.

In my opinion, there are better sets available, for not much more, which will either last you several years or can be resold for little loss.

Carbon

Club Champion
Visit site
thank you!

i would keep them as a backup/ clubs for my dad if i upgrade/continue as he plays a little not enough to warrant his own clubs.

sportsdirect ( if i can use the name ), have a sale on with them at the moment and being a birthday on wednesday i might be able to get some new clubs!

hackerjack99

Medal Winner
Visit site
dunlop clubs are grand. I used to have a couple and they worked fine as a beginner. I have moved on to better clubs but they were a great starting set.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Certainly the new NZ9s seem decent. Dunlop appear to be moving into the sort of area covered by Benross, Bensayers etc and if the reviews are anything to go by then the NZ9s are a decent effort. Not sure about the in store £7 a club ones.

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
thank you!

i would keep them as a backup/ clubs for my dad if i upgrade/continue as he plays a little not enough to warrant his own clubs.

sportsdirect ( if i can use the name ), have a sale on with them at the moment and being a birthday on wednesday i might be able to get some new clubs!

Sports Direct have a permanent 70% sale - they never sell anything at the so-called original price. I've used Dunlop clubs in the past. The irons are ok but found the graphite shafts on the hybrids very twisty.

Sports Direct own the Dunlop brand in the UK and look as if they're trying to raise the quality with the NZ9 range and get good reviews in the mags.

Carbon

Club Champion
Visit site
Sports Direct have a permanent 70% sale - they never sell anything at the so-called original price. I've used Dunlop clubs in the past. The irons are ok but found the graphite shafts on the hybrids very twisty.

Sports Direct own the Dunlop brand in the UK and look as if they're trying to raise the quality with the NZ9 range and get good reviews in the mags.

thanks! i didnt know that, means i dont have to rush now!

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
The new stuff is alright and the NZ9 is actually good budget stuff but avoid anything that doesn't have a gekotac grip (this is on the latest gear). The stuff prior to the new range was really hit and miss. I had a hybrid that was pathetic and a putter that had a smooth grip after about 3 months. You may want to consider MD though. They use decent shafts and are nice to hit. Older 2010/11 gear would probably allow for a set at about £250 for full 14 clubs. Their wedges are truly excellent.

I wish I'd tried their iron prior to buying callaway as I could have saved a fortune and got a club that was just as playable for my level.

V

vkurup

I think almost everything has been covered before...

I had a full 65i graphite Dunlop kit as my first kit. It was fairly basic. Did the job of letting me hack around before throwing anymore money into it. If I were to do it again with Dunlop/.

1) I would go for steel rather than graphite. The graphite has too much torque (or 'twisty). Steel may be heavier, but more likely to be square - esp if you have a decent swing speed.
2) Avoid the Dunlop bag. It is ok for the local munci, but if u get a chance to play at a half decent members club, then you get the 'looks' - you might as well be wearing a vest and holding Carlsberg special :) (Ditto with Dunlop cloths)
3) General rule, the longer the club, the more twisty/torquy it goes, so my best clubs were under 6iron. Everything over that was shooting all over the shop. So I kept changing my swing, to adapt to the club rather than the other way round.
4) If there is 1 club that I wont prefer Dunlop (besides the Driver), then invest in a decent putter. You should get last season Taylormade, Ping off fleabay for £50
4) Dunlop/Donnay balls are cheap for a reason, but good for a knockabout. Alternatively, you might get some decent lake balls for the same price
5) They are permanently on 70% off at Sports Direct, so take ur time

I bought my full set for some 150-200 quid (may be lower), and sold a year later for £50.

Bottomline: It is a starter kit, dont expect to win the Masters

Carbon

Club Champion
Visit site
^ thanks :).

i am only just starting out at the moment so im not looking at spending big money yet. i have a Ping bag with stand and i have some pinnacle balls ( got 30 for £20 ). my current putter is some un named thing i think!

V

vkurup

^ thanks :).

i am only just starting out at the moment so im not looking at spending big money yet. i have a Ping bag with stand and i have some pinnacle balls ( got 30 for £20 ). my current putter is some un named thing i think!

You seem more prepared than I will ever be... good luck mate,.. welcome to the awesome game..

Carbon

Club Champion
Visit site
Won't find me knocking the old Pinnacles, found a Gold Distance one on Sunday and knocked it about for a "laugh" and was well impressed with it.

yeh its the gold i have :).

You seem more prepared than I will ever be... good luck mate,.. welcome to the awesome game..

wouldnt say prepared is the right word! haha. i cant hit straight or consistant with my TM driver but am fine with the old wilson ultra 45 3 wood lol.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
i cant hit straight or consistant with my TM driver but am fine with the old wilson ultra 45 3 wood lol.

Then just hit with that until you start to find a rhythm and then start to introduce the driver. If you can hit it straight and get it off the tee peg then go for it. The driver will come through time and practice.

V

vkurup

Then just hit with that until you start to find a rhythm and then start to introduce the driver. If you can hit it straight and get it off the tee peg then go for it. The driver will come through time and practice.

Agree with GreiginF... hitting ur 'go to club' is far more important than getting bragging rights of hitting ur driver. Practice ur driver on the range, but play ur 3 wood. If you take ur driver to the course, Agree on a mulligan, play ur normal swing (rather than trash the ball). It will help build confidence.

I play with someone who only hits his 5-wood. He has no desire to move 'up' to a driver. He has different swing speeds and can hit between 150-200y on demand. Job done.