Drugs in golf

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Now we all know that golf acts like a drug, but what if any are your experiences of drugs (illegal or otherwise) in golf?

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Do golfers who could hit irons 270 - 300 yards never used extra help from this taboo subject, which little people can end up in jail?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was on drugs on my last round. Ibuprofen. I'm not sure if it helped or not.

Have also played under the affectation of tequila and whiskey from the previous evening, and that absolutely did not help.

D

Deleted member 1147

I was taking Gabapentin a couple of years ago. It seriously affected my golf, as I wanted to fall asleep half way round :sleep:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Could be one reason why I struggle to get up 200 yards with a driver these days, because apart from my asthma inhaler I don't take anything.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Got a waft of weed quite a few times on various courses ?

never had that, but it's very common at football matches. Could never understand why you would take something which mellows you out while watching something that you hope is going to get you excited!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
never had that, but it's very common at football matches. Could never understand why you would take something which mellows you out while watching something that you hope is going to get you excited!

Have had it...

I can imagine its great to chill you out after carding an 8 on a par 3.. would only be hackers that partake on a golf course surely!

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First time my group went to Portugal (2001) all we needed was a couple of paracetamol for the morning after. Last time we went, between us we rattled like the pharmacy section of a decent sized branch of Boots.

I can add beta blockers to my own contribution to the list now. Can't say they've improved my clutch putting tho.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yes, but do you think that some tournament players do cheat with inappropriate substances.
When I saw a player reach a green on a 570 yard hole with two iron shots to the astonishment of the commentator (Peter Alliss) then I am suspicious.
Many other examples could be mentioned.
No doubt these superhuman feats raise the bar for other golfers.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Yes, but do you think that some tournament players do cheat with inappropriate substances.
When I saw a player reach a green on a 570 yard hole with two iron shots to the astonishment of the commentator (Peter Alliss) then I am suspicious.
Many other examples could be mentioned.
No doubt these superhuman feats raise the bar for other golfers.

Are they cheating or has golf started to catch up in terms of performance science?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Drugs are just prevalent in society and as such will be present in golf, both recreational and performance enhancing.

It would be naive to think that the sport is clean at the professional level. They play for too much money for this not to happen.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lots of the US golfing population seem to like CBD and other cannabinoids, mostly retail stuff. The shopping malls all have stands selling CBD in pill, cream, lotion and probably suppository form. I am sure a few them enjoy stronger preparations too. Painkillers, opioid and non-opioid are used a lot more in the US than here, and drugs for ADHD are widely used to help with wakefulness and travel. I am not sure any of that stuff has more than a placebo effect for most.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lots of the US golfing population seem to like CBD and other cannabinoids, mostly retail stuff. The shopping malls all have stands selling CBD in pill, cream, lotion and probably suppository form. I am sure a few them enjoy stronger preparations too. Painkillers, opioid and non-opioid are used a lot more in the US than here, and drugs for ADHD are widely used to help with wakefulness and travel. I am not sure any of that stuff has more than a placebo effect for most.

I was going to start a post on its own about CBD and golf, what are peoples thoughts?? And while we are talking snake oil, what about Golfers Protein drinks?!

D

Deleted member 25172

There's a group at my club who I on more than one occasion have crossed path with on my way in (they always tee off in the afternoon) where you can smell the weed they're smoking.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I was going to start a post on its own about CBD and golf, what are peoples thoughts?? And while we are talking snake oil, what about Golfers Protein drinks?!

Just played coxmoor this morning and they sell a range of “golfers CBD” including gummy bears!