Drugs and golf

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
The LPGA have announced that their players will be subjected to random drugs testing from 2008 onwards, moving them ahead of the men's tours in addressing an issue that seems to have run and run.

What are everyone's thoughts on golf being brought into line with all other sports on this issue?

The game is often sold as a sport for gentlemen and ladies, whose love of etiquette and integrity should ensure self-regulation on issues such as these. Is it disappointing and unecessary from this point of view? Are there any drugs out there that could really make a difference? Or is it a welcome dose of reality for a sport with massive prizemoney and high stakes?

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What sort of drugs would be of benefit to pro golfers? Steroids would boost strength but surely the side-effects would be to put them on edge...not great for putting. Can't see why EPO would benefit. Would downers be the main thing?

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
I think the likes of beta blockers seem to offer the big advantage-usually they are given to old dears to lower blood pressure etc and presumably they would calm the nerves of golfers.

I think golf has to follow other sports and drug testing is inevitable

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The odd aspirin would be handy every now and then for some of them. Despite it's clean-cut image, I think the tours still have their fair share of players who like a tipple, as Woosie so ably demonstrated with all manner of alcoholic liquids at this year's Ryder Cup!