Driving the ball too high

noble78

Head Pro
Visit site
Just after some thoughts on why i am driving the ball too high, I play on a links course so its windy most of the time and therefore my driving is getting no distance at all when im hitting into the wind.
I have tried the obvious to me which is teeing the ball lower and also the position of the ball to my feet but no change in flight really.
My bad shot is a slice too so they can go quite far to the right also.

The driver i have is a Nike machspeed st8-fit 10.5* with a Fubuki, Flex -R / which i havnt had that long really, i do drive it a lot more straighter than my old driver but the main problem is the height.

Any help would be appreciated :thup:

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just after some thoughts on why i am driving the ball too high, I play on a links course so its windy most of the time and therefore my driving is getting no distance at all when im hitting into the wind.
I have tried the obvious to me which is teeing the ball lower and also the position of the ball to my feet but no change in flight really.
My bad shot is a slice too so they can go quite far to the right also.

The driver i have is a Nike machspeed st8-fit 10.5* with a Fubuki, Flex -R / which i havnt had that long really, i do drive it a lot more straighter than my old driver but the main problem is the height.

Any help would be appreciated :thup:

Have you tried both at the same time? I guess either could cause high flight on their own.

I'm no expert but I'm sure if your hands were kept infront or further towards the front of your swing the head would impact at a lower angle? That may the cause.

My 2p but I'd wait till bob pops in before you try anything

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've had this fault recently due to hitting down on the ball with a driver creating to much spin (so I'm told) and getting too wristy through imPact. Hit the range yesturday trying to focus on hitting on the up with less wrist flick and it's alot better. To help with hitting up I've had to move the ball forward a touch.

Maybe a lesson with your pro just on driving is in order?

noble78

Head Pro
Visit site
I have had a chat with bob showing him a clip of my swing even though it isnt a very good clip lol
He has noticed i dont keep my head very still which isnt helping matters and also going to try his headcover drill.
Will see how i get on, if i continue to struggle then a lesson with the pro and the driver.

thanks

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
I had a lesson last week with driving being looked at particularly. It was a lesson on a trackman and it showed that my ball flight was also very high. A couple of things were causing it. My spin rate for my driver was way too high (6500) and I wasn't releasing properly through the ball instead I was kind of blocking down the fairway (or rough in my case).

The pro obviously addressed my release but also suggested my driver didn't suit me. I have 10.5 degree PING g15 with a stiff flex and I have 100mph swing speed. He told me the g15 is designed to create a higher launch and that I should use a lower degree driver and a shaft with more weight near the head. His suggestion was a low-mid handicap driver (I20 if I liked the PING drivers) with 9.5 degree and a stiff shaft.

When I came in initially he got me to try a different driver before trying to adjust my swing and instantly my spin rate and ball flight came down and distance went up. don't know if that helps just my experience

joer422

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i had the exact same problems with my driver and i also play on a links. for me i have found from testing different drivers recently that it is a combination of things. i find a smaller head size 340cc ish, a stiff shaft and 8.5* loft helps me hit the ball staight and a good height not to high not to low.

noble78

Head Pro
Visit site
Wouldnt mind having a go on the trackman with a few drivers and different shafts just to see if it is something to do with the driver.
I didnt get fitted for the driver so you never know