driving advice noob needs help!

big_eck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
hi guys i need as much info as i can, i have just taken up golf 2 weeks ago so, the game has came kinda natural to me when i started playing a bought a cheap set of dunlop clubs and 2 drivers i seen in a charity shop, the driver i stuck with was a nickent square with a reg flex shaft, every time i hit the drive it shot off to the right so i compensated and aimed for the left and was getting good distance (180 - 220ft) i know it isnt massive but im still learning, my friend told me if i want to drive further get a stiffer shaft because my swing is really fast so i went to my local pro shop and got a ping g10 driver with a stiffer shaft, took it to the range and it added a bit of distance and was feeling good, i also bought a second hand set of snake eye viper tours and a new putter and bag just to et rid of the cheap set i started with, so on a high feeling like tiger i went for a 9 hole game and my driving has died, i cant hit the damn ball most of the time and when i do the right slice or hook dont know what one it is lol is way out of control no amount of aiming left can fix it, on the upside the new irons have made a huge difference but i still cant put! any advice?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
G10 is an excellent and forgiving driver. Personally I would say maybe have a lesson with a pro but failing that try and slow to a 60% speed swing with the driver and see how much difference it maybe makes. Could also try a shorter backswing aswell. Too many possibilities for causes as I have and occasionally do still suffer with the dreaded slice :(

big_eck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i have booked a lesson with the pro that sold me the driver for a week today so im hoping that he could maybe point out whats went wrong. might sound silly but i dont know how to slow my swing down, cause i have just started i only have 1 swing the other thing is im 6ft 8 so been told im always gonna generate a fair whack

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
This early in your golfing life your probably not doing anything by the textbook. By getting the lessons in early you'll avoid picking up all the bad habits most of us have and probably become a good player. Height is not a prerequisite for power although it can help, some of the longest hitters in the world are 5ft11.

big_eck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
haha yeah a wee typo but saying that sometimes i struggle to hit 80yds! i went to american golf with my g10 and tried a few different drivers and im not swinging fast enough for a stiff shaft i tried a cobra amp with a reg shaft and 250 straight 5 times in a row now i just need to convince the wife i should spend £120 on a driver! i also went round a course in aberdeen last night my first 18 holer ever and went a nice 42 over par and lost a heap of balls! but was good fun

big_eck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
a wee update, had a lesson today and it went pretty well, need my clubs fitted but my stance was all wrong, took the pros advice and went to the 9 hole course left my driver in the car and knocked off 8 shots from last week so safe to say im well happy!

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
a wee update, had a lesson today and it went pretty well, need my clubs fitted but my stance was all wrong, took the pros advice and went to the 9 hole course left my driver in the car and knocked off 8 shots from last week so safe to say im well happy!

Great stuff!

You'll see on here that every part of the game is dissected to a micro level on here, but it's important to emphasise that you must continue to ENJOY the GAME.

I hope your pro gave you some things to work on.