Driver vs Driver

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Has anyone watched this yet?

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/driver-vs-driver-series-2-166467

Just watched it during my lunch break, and quite enjoyed it. I know it's a bit Apprentice/ Golfbreak/ Dragons Den etc. which I went off a long time ago, with some of the same type of characters, but I'm quite intrigued by watching the driver ideas come to life. The judging panel was also quite interesting, I get the Wilson guy, and Rick Shiels, but no idea why they have an ex-hockey player, surely an ex-pro golfer would have been a better idea? I think there is a lot of samey stuff in some of the designs, and may well impinge on current copyrights but I'm happy to give it another watch, may even start thinking about a new design for season 3 :LOL:

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I'm really not sure what they are looking for, to be honest. I mean, there were quite a few designs where the jury said: yeah, okay, we've seen it all before, where is the innovation? And then they dismiss the only few guys who did come up with something completely different, because it is too different. I liked the bowling guys and their internal vortex idea. I wish they had kept them, just because it would have been interesting to see if that really worked. But they dismissed them right away, mostly because Rick Shiels could not imagine it working. I love Rick. He is a great guy. But he is totally not a math or physics expert. I really would have liked a more qualified opinion on that. I mean, if turbulators or any of the other fin like structures have an effect, then an open wind channel surely would. I am also sad to see the only female contestant go, but I have to admit that her design really maybe wasn't one of the better ones.

And yes, the program does make one want to design a driver. I caught myself jotting ideas down while I watched it. Maybe I should try to get access to a 3D printer and fiddle around a bit.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I really really enjoyed the show, I think it’s a fantastic concept. I know the last driver, the Triton, had a bit of conforming issues at the start but apparently once it was released was a really good club.

I’m a bit of a Wilson Staff fanboy having grown up playing their clubs and still do now and think more people should try them, their Irons are as good as any on the market, their FG Tour 100 blades are beautiful. So if this show brings some more well deserved attention to Wilson Staff I’m all for it.

It’s also interesting seeing the ideas and concepts behind new Driver designs.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I really really enjoyed the show, I think it’s a fantastic concept. I know the last driver, the Triton, had a bit of conforming issues at the start but apparently once it was released was a really good club.

You would think that Wilson Staff would be aware of that when developing the driver. It certainly seemed like an issue with some of the initial designs in the episode I watched. I thought the comments about the square driver being one of the worst developments ever in golf quite interesting. I was fitted for Nike Sumo Squared hybrids and fairway woods about 10 years back after winning them in a magazine comp. I still think the hybrids are some of the best clubs I've ever played, and only switched them out about two years back. I've struggled to find a better hybrid since, would go back to them except they're in my wife's bag now and she likes them to much.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never heard of this program, nor did I know that the Triton driver was born out of a show like this. Quite interesting from Wilson Staff to go down this route. Don't they rate their own R&D department very much? :sneaky: