Driver Swing - Comments?

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have been improving of late with my irons being relatively consistent and even my short game saving me a few shorts per round. However, the one area that is regressing is my driving. Before I took lessons it was probably the most consistent club in the bag however now it's going all over the shot! I think the main reason was that I had a very flat swing when I first started playing which was all well and good with the big stick but meant my iron play was rubbish. As I've improved my swing my driving has suffered.

I played 27 holes yesterday and I almost put the thing in the pond however resisted as I know it's me and not it! However went for a go on the range and played 6 holes and it was going really well without any particular changes being put into place. I know that being a high handicapper consistency is more of an issue however yesterday with the driver is becoming the norm rather than today's attempt.

I video'd a few of my swings on the range today and I did attempt to slow the swing down which my have been an issue yesterday as I do sometimes fall into the trap of trying too hard. Is there anything obvious on the swing that I should also be looking at? Any comments appreciated!

[video=youtube;pf7imNIkfUg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf7imNIkfUg[/video]

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seen a lot worse. Your feet look to pointing out to the right of target but this could be camera angle. Also you do appear to be reaching out to the ball. Are you having any balance issues. Could do with a face on vid as well as I reckon your stance could be a bit narrow. Perhaps a bit inside on the takeaway as well

A

Alex1975

Seen a lot worse. Your feet look to pointing out to the right of target but this could be camera angle. Also you do appear to be reaching out to the ball. Are you having any balance issues. Could do with a face on vid as well as I reckon your stance could be a bit narrow. Perhaps a bit inside on the takeaway as well

Ye reaching a little...

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for the comments and apologies if this is really obvious however when you say reaching do you mean that I am standing too far from the ball? Reason I ask is that I found that by getting closer seemed to worsen my slice.

I know it's an issue with my swing, I think I'm still coming over the top a little at the top of the swing however not sure if that's the only fault to fix!

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the comments and apologies if this is really obvious however when you say reaching do you mean that I am standing too far from the ball? Reason I ask is that I found that by getting closer seemed to worsen my slice.

I know it's an issue with my swing, I think I'm still coming over the top a little at the top of the swing however not sure if that's the only fault to fix!

Yes;) Have a look at this vid and you should see if you are reaching out to the ball.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZUkOB4dp54

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is not set in stone but certainly 2 hand width lengths away is too much. I have tried it just now and I can feel all sorts of things going wrong, loss of balance, takeaway issues etc It may be not be this that is causing your problems but I like to eliminate all the simple things first before looking at swing mechanics and techniques

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It is not set in stone but certainly 2 hand width lengths away is too much. I have tried it just now and I can feel all sorts of things going wrong, loss of balance, takeaway issues etc It may be not be this that is causing your problems but I like to eliminate all the simple things first before looking at swing mechanics and techniques

I'm not expecting it to solve my problems in one fail swoop however as you say, if it eliminates a small fault it will all help in the long run!

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not expecting it to solve my problems in one fail swoop however as you say, if it eliminates a small fault it will all help in the long run!

It might be the reason your hitting these bad shots. I am the opposite to you my fault used to be that I stood to close to the ball which was causing me to shank all the time. Moved further back from the ball like in the vid and rarely hit them now

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Maybe just me but you seem a little out of balance at finish.

Is your stance wide enough or are you swinging a touch to fast?

I thought my stance was wide enough but I do suffer a little with balance. I thought that the main cause of this was doing everything at 100mph so I've tried to slow the back swing and consciously try and pause at the top so I complete the swing and retain an element of control!!

S

Snelly

If you could slow it down to a blur then I will take another look! :)

Too fast.. think of the tempo of a golf swing as being like hitting a nail with a hammer. Get lined up, nice and steady back, then watch the hammer on to the nail with a good solid thump that accelerates all the way to the point of impact.