Driver shaft

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello,

Looking for a driver shaft with a high torque figure of around 5, parallel tip around 3 and around 60g, stiff flex. Low ball flight
Has anybody got any recommendations ?

Thanks
Neil

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
not very specific then. I suggest you go through the internet searching all the manufacturers. Basically stop being lazy and hoping someone else will do it for you.

Also I am sure a drover shaft in that spec does not exist

Last edited:

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
not very specific then. I suggest you go through the internet searching all the manufacturers. Basically stop being lazy and hoping someone else will do it for you.

Also I am sure a drover shaft in that spec does not exist

I just love a reply like this, really makes you feel like you wanting to ask a question in future !!

I thought this section was 'ASK THE EXPERTS' !! I have gone thro the internet looking for similar specs but i do not know every make of shaft out there and i know there are some Experts on here that know shafts inside out.

The Oban devotion 5 has nearly everything but would like a lower ball flight if possible
http://www.obanshafts.com/woods/devotion

'duncan mackie' All shafts quote a parallel tip length.

As for someone 'thinking they are better than they are'. This is a driver shaft for my son who has just turned 16 and plays off a 2 handicap so i want to make sure he has the correct spec equipment so he can progress.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just love a reply like this, really makes you feel like you wanting to ask a question in future !!

I thought this section was 'ASK THE EXPERTS' !! I have gone thro the internet looking for similar specs but i do not know every make of shaft out there and i know there are some Experts on here that know shafts inside out.

The Oban devotion 5 has nearly everything but would like a lower ball flight if possible
http://www.obanshafts.com/woods/devotion

'duncan mackie' All shafts quote a parallel tip length.

As for someone 'thinking they are better than they are'. This is a driver shaft for my son who has just turned 16 and plays off a 2 handicap so i want to make sure he has the correct spec equipment so he can progress.

i am not usre where you got your info from regarding what shaft he needs. I have just had a quick look through the internet and all the high torque shafts are higher trajectories, you need a lower torque to get a lower trajectory.

You are talking about this oban shaft. In the specs that you state it will be high trajectory. for the lower trajectory that you state you need to go heavier with a lower torque.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get these specs from that you state. As I have just had a quick look through the internet and i see nothing that meets your criteria.

It would be better if you said what you wanted, ie lower trajectory or heavier shaft as then people can give you suggestions.

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
i am not usre where you got your info from regarding what shaft he needs. I have just had a quick look through the internet and all the high torque shafts are higher trajectories, you need a lower torque to get a lower trajectory.

You are talking about this oban shaft. In the specs that you state it will be high trajectory. for the lower trajectory that you state you need to go heavier with a lower torque.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get these specs from that you state. As I have just had a quick look through the internet and i see nothing that meets your criteria.

It would be better if you said what you wanted, ie lower trajectory or heavier shaft as then people can give you suggestions.

He was given the spec from Precision golf for the Oban Devotion 5 in a stiff flex but he wants to try and get a lower ball flight as we play links golf as well.

Having looked at a few different shaft specs on the internet i have to agree with you that to get the lower ball flight the torque will need to come down so i was wondering about a Prolaunch Red. He did have a real deal Ahina shaft in his driver but it was thought the 70g was slightly too heavy so a 60g shaft would be better.

thanks for the reply.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, torque is not correlated with launch as directly as that. It is true that softer higher launch shafts often have high torque, but it is possible to get a high torque shaft with a lower launch.

The Devotion 5 (50s gram weight) is a fairly high torque shaft (5 degrees) with a mid or mid-high trajectory. But the torque of the Devotion 6 (60s gram range) is still not desperately low at 3.6 degrees and a low-mid launch.

The Graphite Design Tour AD-DI (as played by Tiger Woods and Matt Kuchar, amongst others) might also fit the bill. The Tour AD-DI 5 (high 50s gram range) has about 4.6 degrees of torque and is a mid kick shaft. A small amount of tipping would bring that down further.

The Oban with a bit of extra tipping (done by a clubfitter or decent pro) might still be the best answer, and may be worth looking at a 6 too.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Something like this?

newtempomaster.jpg

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pretty sure this was asked not that long ago. The UST Axivcore Blue might fit the bill.
The parallel tip section is just the untrimmed length that the shaft stays the tip diameter IIRC so a 0.335 shaft with 4" parallel section stays 0.335 for 4" and can be trimmed to this point (obviously affecting flex). Most brand new unused shafts have this, an already tipped shaft might not.
I could be wrong of course.

Nashy

Head Pro
Visit site
I take it the reason for this is if you don't load the shaft up a lot?

I know a lot of people complain about the feel of the Whiteboard being one of the worse for this behind a Grafalloy Blue. I do load the shaft but if I don't I will agree the shaft does feel a little boardy, I like that it tells me I made a hash of that swing though.

I have a Blueboard in my 3 wood and this gives a softer feel while still keep my ball flight down.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If the torque rating is important you should look at the new Whiteboard (D+) and Blueboard (S+); in the c.65g weight class they have 3.6 and 4.5 torque in stiff flex.

The former is low launch / low spin, whereas the latter launches a little higher with a little more spin.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Less boardy feel? Cant think of any other benefits tbh

There are no other 'benefits'; torque only really influences the feel of the shaft at impact. However, very high torque for a player with a very fast swing won't feel right (mushy), whilst very low torque for a player with a very slow swing won't feel right either (boardy).

So it's also wrong to assume (which I appreciate you're not - not directing this at you) the higher the torque, the better the feel... as always, it depends.