Driver Shaft Weight

stueyginger

Visit site
Hello all,

Currently using a HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 60g shaft
I wouldn't say my ball flight with my driver is overly high but would like to lower it
Head is sitting at 10deg on a Epic Flash but lowering a degree or so doesn't really change much
Would a heavier shaft, perhaps 70g or 83g but still stiff flex have any impact on flight?
Or is this more to do with swing mechanics?
I hit the driver well, find fairways but play links golf often hence the questions7

I welcome your comments / feedback....thanks!

D

Deleted member 3432

Could be the head is too high spin?

I know I got the best numbers on my fitting with the sub zero head ( Smoke black 6.0 70g shaft)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you tried the shaft fit on the True Temper website. There are 3 versions of that shaft black, green and yellow and maybe one of the other colours would be a better fit.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
In theory the heavier weighted shaft could/should lower ball flight, however in all honesty it is very much player dependant.

Heavier weight should could also in theory kill too much spin and while it may lower the ball flight it can actually end up costing distance.

The world of shafts is an unbelievable minefield therefore if you are serious about changing shafts and you are happy with the head you have I recommend that you book in with Scott Gourlay (Edinburgh) for a proper fitting. He probably has the best selection of shafts in Scotland and is extremely highly recommended and regarded in the industry.

You'll pay for it but 100% worth it.

stueyginger

Visit site
Which Oban Shaft do you have? If its the 7 it's doubtful whether a heavier Shaft will give you a lower flight.

Apologies mate, I sold my oban shaft (need to update my bag details) for a HZRDUS smoke 6.0 60g

I was looking at a HZRDUS yellow 6.0 83g on ebay but now gone.

Just looking to lower the flight and if can be done by suggesting a different shaft then great, if swing mechanics then not so great!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Apologies mate, I sold my oban shaft (need to update my bag details) for a HZRDUS smoke 6.0 60g

Just looking to lower the flight and if can be done by suggesting a different shaft then great, if swing mechanics then not so great!
The only ones which have worked for me have been the Oban Devotion 7 & the Matrix Black Tie. I've got both and don't know which one I like the best.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Those two shafts are nothing like each other, for a start the Yellow is a counterbalanced shaft. The Yellow will also spin more than your black therefore won't reduce your ball flight which is the goal you achieve. The counterbalance will also make the club feel different or heavier in your hands.

The Rogue Silver 70 that Patrick has offered you in the for sale section would be a far better option however I will also question whether that would be a significant difference over your original Devotion! Atrip to Edinburgh is your best option or you could be swapping shafts every month in your quest. Been there done it!

stueyginger

Visit site
Those two shafts are nothing like each other, for a start the Yellow is a counterbalanced shaft. The Yellow will also spin more than your black therefore won't reduce your ball flight which is the goal you achieve. The counterbalance will also make the club feel different or heavier in your hands.

The Rogue Silver 70 that Patrick has offered you in the for sale section would be a far better option however I will also question whether that would be a significant difference over your original Devotion! Atrip to Edinburgh is your best option or you could be swapping shafts every month in your quest. Been there done it!

Cheers mate!

Like I said I've no idea when it comes to shafts, was fitted for the driver and nothing wrong with consistency, just struggling to keep it down now I'm playing a lot of links golf in wintery conditions.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Cheers mate!

Like I said I've no idea when it comes to shafts, was fitted for the driver and nothing wrong with consistency, just struggling to keep it down now I'm playing a lot of links golf in wintery conditions.

If it was fitted then I would stick with what you were fitted for unless you feel you didn't get a "proper" fitting.

The Smoke is an excellent shaft.

Try some things first like tee-ing it up higher when into the wind and concentrate on a smooth swing. However going by your set up you are an accomplished player who will know these things so I won't try and teach you to suck eggs.

Shafts can mess with your head, if you seriously don't like the Smoke but love the head I'd be going to see SG they'll get you the flight/trajectory you wish.

stueyginger

Visit site
If it was fitted then I would stick with what you were fitted for unless you feel you didn't get a "proper" fitting.

The Smoke is an excellent shaft.

Try some things first like tee-ing it up higher when into the wind and concentrate on a smooth swing. However going by your set up you are an accomplished player who will know these things so I won't try and teach you to suck eggs.

Shafts can mess with your head, if you seriously don't like the Smoke but love the head I'd be going to see SG they'll get you the flight/trajectory you wish.

Appreciate it, just feel the last few weeks I've struggled.
Not short by comparison don't get me wrong but rather annoying when some of the lads have that knuckle ball flight that almost goes unaffected by the wind!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Appreciate it, just feel the last few weeks I've struggled.
Not short by comparison don't get me wrong but rather annoying when some of the lads have that knuckle ball flight that almost goes unaffected by the wind!
That can be influenced by where you strike the ball on the club face.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
IMO If you want a lower flight - lower the loft and/or the CG
The differences you'll get from one lowish launch shaft to another aren't going to give you much.
If changing the loft doesn't do it then you need a different head - eg the sub zero rather than the standard Epic Flash.