Driver shaft confusion...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
So I have a 12 degree G15 in Soft Regular shaft. The specs have a weight of 52g.

Today I tried the G25 in Soft Regular although 10.5 degrees. It felt like an unresponsive plank in my hands and just couldn't feel it at all. Feedback off the face was poor and even good strikes quite slicey. The main thing though was that I just couldn't feel anything from it throughout the swing. Tried to make it whoosh with practice swings but even then it didn't feel right. The weight of shaft is 48g so it's lighter...

I kind of expected to find it was a heavier shaft which would make it play a bit stiffer and explain the lack of feel???

Confused....

Also tried the Callaway X Hot in the 11.5 light shaft which weighs 53g and hit it much better and felt it very responsive. Was pretty pooped by the time I got to it though but had the same experience with it last weekend.

What is this telling me and what am I missing techy-wise??

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Ping shafts in the G15 and G25 are different, although they are both TFC series shafts. Also, the flex description (soft regular, for example) may vary between one shaft and another - there is no standard. The weight is not a huge factor at that range. The mechanics of how the shaft is designed is going to be more important.

But I think the driver loft might be a factor. With too little loft in your hand, you will get poor contacts and often weak cuts. I wonder is 12 degrees in a G25 would work better for you?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes both were Soft Regular.

I did wonder about the loft Ethan although have hit a 10.5 G20 and controlled it well without any sign of slice. I rarely slice the G15 although a bit of a high fade is all too frequent! "Poor contact and weak cuts" certainly sums up how the G25 played on the course today and I finally felt I'd nailed one on the 18th but was disappointed at the distance...

Gotta be worth a try with a 12 degree version but was just surprised how little feedback I got from it.

Edit - something else that might impact is grip size as I'm 2 down from standard and shaft length as my G15 is 1" shorter? I did try to grip down...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
when your shaft was shortened 1" did they make any weighting adjustments that might account for your 'feelings'?

clutching at straws a little as the sort of potential differences might result in a slight feeling of something different - but not the sort of difference levels you indicate.

I really wouldn't waste time trying to analyse the technicals - but do be guided by the numbers when comparing them, as well as the feeling and confidence elements.

You won't be struck down for ending up with an X-hot (even if some forumites might not talk to you again)!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
when your shaft was shortened 1" did they make any weighting adjustments that might account for your 'feelings'?

clutching at straws a little as the sort of potential differences might result in a slight feeling of something different - but not the sort of difference levels you indicate.

I really wouldn't waste time trying to analyse the technicals - but do be guided by the numbers when comparing them, as well as the feeling and confidence elements.

You won't be struck down for ending up with an X-hot (even if some forumites might not talk to you again)!

Thanks Duncan. Not sure about the 1" shorter but as it was custom fit and ordered from Ping I'd assume adjustments would have been made. I agree it's time to forget the specs, the brand and maybe even the looks and focus on the results.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Could it have anything to do where the kick point is, are they different? Just throwing balls in the air as I'm trying to find a shaft to match my C.KUA 43s and found myself reading and getting confused about kick points!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Could it have anything to do where the kick point is, are they different? Just throwing balls in the air as I'm trying to find a shaft to match my C.KUA 43s and found myself reading and getting confused about kick points!

I did ask the pro about that and they both have a low kick point so still unsure. I drove really well today with my G15 so perhaps it's going to save me some money!