Driver selection.

SRLongball

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Im in the market for a few different clubs but initially starting with the Driver,

Swinging at 117mph average, (before my break from the game)

So not sure wether to work on those figures as thats what it will be back up to.

But I wanted to know what the forum is liking driver wise atm!

SRL

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
plenty of love on the forum for the Titleist 913 with its hugh selection of shafts. I've had a few goes and it is a very nice driver but a little out of my price range ATM

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
taylormade R1. most popular driver on tour!!

I would say 117mph will put your firmly in the X-Stiff shaft, i would go somewhere with as many different clubs as possible with as many shafts to try as possible. i reckon i tried about 7 shafts before settling on mine, my swing speed is maybe 1-2 mph less and i got a 55g Xstiff standard TM shaft. Jimbob who was again about the same speed went the same but slightly heavier at 65g IIRC..

regardless of what brand you pick, get fitted.

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't discount the Titleist 910 D can be had for a song now and is no slouch behind the 913.
I have one and wont rush to change for a 913

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I play a 913D2 & I love it but it's all down to what fits your eye. You will more than likely find a decent fit with most drivers as long as it has the correct loft & shaft for your swing.

I swing it a little slower than you (approx 112-114mph) and I use an extra stiff Motore Speeder shaft to keep the spin down, not the cheapest option out there but it works for me. Best advice I can give is to go for a fitting with a decent club fitter.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Simple answer. Ignore what you had before the lay off. Think about a refresher lesson to get the swing ticking over and then go out and try as many as you can. What is one mans meat and all that.

SRLongball

Medal Winner
Visit site
Simple answer. Ignore what you had before the lay off. Think about a refresher lesson to get the swing ticking over and then go out and try as many as you can. What is one mans meat and all that.

My head pro pretty much said the exact same. I had my first round after the break today. Definitely got the bug back. Had 37 shots on the front and 40 on the back not bad eh. Funnily enough did this with my Stepdads really old Reg Flex cobra driver. Also used some demo rocketbladez. Slightly doubting the nike pro combos, the rocketbladez are SO STRAIGHT!