Driver position - on the ground or off?

two-clubs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've been watching quite a bit of golf lately on the TV and see that some players rest the driver head on the ground prior to making their swing and others 'hover' it a little off the ground.

Probably it's a simple case of what suits you best (as usual) but what are the merits of either way?

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm sure plenty on here would give you the pros and cons of hovering, but it really is just preference. Some people like to feel the weight of the driver, or think that hovering allows them to get a better contact from the center of the face of the driver.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
The newer style adjustable drivers set the correct (designed) loft and face settings when they are placed on the ground behind the ball.....If you hover it, you could alter this.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think we all have our own nuances that make us feel comfortable behind the ball.....a guy I played with on Sunday address the ball (with a driver) with his hands so far forward that he completely de-lofts the club.....but he strikes it nicely.

I bring my driver to rest (on the floor) about 6-8 inches behind the ball.... just suits me to be relaxed.

mykweb

Assistant Pro
www.mykweb.co.uk
I used to address the ball with the club head on the ground. I would then hover the club head slightly while giving my wrists a little wiggle/flick. This would allow me to relax the wrists and not get so tense. Hovering the club allows you to relax a little or so I was told.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tried the hover once or twice but didn't get on with it. Felt like there was more tension in my arms than grounding the driver, I think the opposite is supposed to be true so I may have been doing something wrong.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
most do it to ensure a smooth less tension takeaway.................nothing more to it than that

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The newer style adjustable drivers set the correct (designed) loft and face settings when they are placed on the ground behind the ball.....If you hover it, you could alter this.

How this is done doesn't really matter - as long as the swings that are checking out the adjustments are consistent in being grounded or hovered. Being consistent in other attributes helps too!