Driver lesson, iron swing.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just reading a post re a member on here struggling with his driver. I could of written it myself. But one thing he said which has twice happened to me. The lesson involves using an Iron. Usually a 7 to improve my driving. Now I am led to believe you hit an iron differently to a driver so what is the thought process in trying to improve hitting your driver by hitting your irons.
cheers me dears

Jason.H

Visit site
7 iron is a good club to work on the basic swing fundamentals. If you hone a good swing it’ll work for all your clubs. Driver to wedge all have different set ups with ball position ect but the swing is pretty much the same.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Fundamentally, the swing is the same. The difference is the set up and ball position. With Driver the ball is further forward in the stance and you hit up on the ball.
The Driver swing will be flatter due to the length of the shaft and ball position.
If the purpose of the lesson was how to hit Driver, then I’m surprised the pro didn’t end the lesson explaining the concept

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Just reading a post re a member on here struggling with his driver. I could of written it myself. But one thing he said which has twice happened to me. The lesson involves using an Iron. Usually a 7 to improve my driving. Now I am led to believe you hit an iron differently to a driver so what is the thought process in trying to improve hitting your driver by hitting your irons.
cheers me dears

I struggled big time with my driver and it turned out that the key for me was to set it up conventionally in driver position and then try to put a 7 iron swing on the driver. Why it worked was that I was moving laterally too soon and rarely saw the ball hit.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I would have thought if you want to have a driver lesson you should ask the pro and discuss everything with them.
I did both times. The set up was different but it was never explained why I am using a iron then moved into a driver.

D

Deleted member 1147

Swing fundaments are the same, except through impact.
With an Iron you try to maintain the angle of attack, whereas with driver you unwind it into impact, wanting a neutral angle of attack.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
7 iron may help with tempo too before lashing at a driver.
While the swing may be the same, don't you hit down on an iron but up on the driver? So, there is a bit of a difference in the swing?

D

Deleted member 23270

Tempo.....or lack of it. 1 swing, same tempo, different setup. If you want to believe you have different swings for different clubs then crack on but you are just making things difficult for yourself. The reason people struggle with driver is because they try to hit it harder than other clubs.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Tempo.....or lack of it. 1 swing, same tempo, different setup. If you want to believe you have different swings for different clubs then crack on but you are just making things difficult for yourself. The reason people struggle with driver is because they try to hit it harder than other clubs.
This is spot on.
Keep the same tempo.
The driver shaft is longer than the 7-iron so the clubhead will be travelling faster, you don't have to think about making it move faster.
I see a lot of players swinging themselves into unbalanced positions with the driver. This is unlikely to happen if you keep the same tempo as your 7-iron swing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As with the other poster speak to the teaching pro and explain your driver issues and what you are looking to achieve in the lesson. Every time I have needed a driver lesson that is what we use and we tweak that specific set-up and swing.

shane3003

Visit site
Same here for me, I’ve been having regular lessons and worked on the driver a few times.
We start off with a 6 iron, review it, work on it and then go to the driver. To be fair I do see the improvements during my lesson, doesn’t follow on the course though ….

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Topped two drives today but there again my tempo and swing was crap with the irons as well. It's easy (in my mind). Get the lesson(s) to fix the fault and then work on it at the range. You have to put the hard work in after any lesson after its wasted money. You can't get the fix and then not work it into the swing and expect to rock onto the course and for it to fall into place