Driver - Ball flight question

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
..... No, not the "Ball flight laws" before you decide to sigh go back to the main forum :D

Let me start by saying I have never been able to hit a driver with ANY consistancy.

I've always used a ball position 2 ball widths inside my left heel for my driver. The ball generally starts to the right of my target and generally goes straight (Push) or starts straight right then gentley fades further right. I've expremented moving it back but never forward of this position.

I "think" (..... And this is whre you guys come in) I may be playing the ball a little too far back and not giving my wrists a chance to un-hinge naturally (Not roll) to get the clubface square, hence the push to the right. My main concern is that if I move it too far forward, the club head will be beginning it's move back to the inside and I'll be back at sliceville..... And I dont want to go there (..... Again :mad:)

Does this sound plausable? Or, which is more likely am I talking cobblers?

Would moving the ball position forward, I.E directly in line with my heel help or hinder the flight I currently get?

Thanks in advance :thup:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I play the ball AT LEAST left instep if not left toe if I want more height.
As you say, you'll be hitting the ball later in the arc so in theory should help.
But, as you know with this game, anything can happen
especially with S&T :)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I play the ball AT LEAST left instep if not left toe if I want more height.
As you say, you'll be hitting the ball later in the arc so in theory should help.
But, as you know with this game, anything can happen
especially with S&T :)

Especially with that Bob :rofl:

I noticed on the range yesterday that I really have to focus on squaring my hands with the driver, but not any other clubs. So I guessed it could be the ball position being to far back.

I'll give it a bash and se how I go :thup:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
The short answer I guess is yes. You are hitting the ball on the in to out bit of the swing. Try moving the ball forward half an inch at a time. See what happens. You could end up hooking or slicing though. As Bob said anything could happen. But it may go straight as well. You will not know till you try.

P.s. On the other hand as you are using S&T, you could strengthen the grip a tad for the driver. So it starts as a push but then draws back. Dont know though this bit was just an after thought.

Last edited:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you move the ball forward, you should help the push, and improve the launch. The fear is - will the face be square? and the answer is that in theory, as you pass the low point the face should be closing anyway.

The thing is - do you believe ?!""£$%^

The reply is - I BELIEVE ?!"£$%^

It's a leap of faith, but I know exactly where you are coming from......

I'm beginning to believe :)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My coach has me set up by standing feet together. Ball in the middle of my feet (check with driver shaft, it should go from belt buckle to ball at right angles to target line). I then move my right foot back as far as I like, and leave the left foot exactly where it was. This should be level with my left heal, and should be in the ideal position for hitting a driver.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My coach has me set up by standing feet together. Ball in the middle of my feet (check with driver shaft, it should go from belt buckle to ball at right angles to target line). I then move my right foot back as far as I like, and leave the left foot exactly where it was. This should be level with my left heal, and should be in the ideal position for hitting a driver.

Thanks for that tip Murph :thup:

I was just thinking of a way to get a consistant set-up and you must have read my mind.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNTU--85mkY

Try this, about 2 minutes in, he does the standard method for teeing up the driver by standing with the feet together.

I can't remember why I found this video, but it just goes to show where some of us are goig wrong by letting the ball creep back little by little.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This is a great way to set up,cheers Murph!

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site

I do this with all my clubs. Woods and irons. Obviously the feet position changes with different clubs. But it makes sure your feet are in the right/same place every time.