Driver backspin

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hit a few shots with the Nike covert driver at AG today. They were analysing them with flightscope and it was quite interesting. For me they honed in on launch angle and back spin. The launch angle was good but backspin high, we looked at a "heat map" style graph cross referencing these two and it was apparent that the spin significantly reduced my distance potential.

Now, I'm not in the market for a new driver and didn't have my own driver there for comparison but it got me wondering. What can I do with my swing to reduce the spin? Swing more slowly is an obvious option but that would cost me length too. Club head speed was only in the 85-89 range anyway.

What's the theory here? Can I swing more smoothly without losing speed?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hitting more up on the ball will reduce the spin slightly, though increase the launch somewhat.

Remember though that what happens with the Nike and that shaf will be very different to your R11 and shaft - and your configuration.
If you are happy with your results, which should be round 220-240-ish then you are probably optimised for your swing speed and the only 'benefit' for serious expense is a touch more forgiveness.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh yeah I'm hitting my driver quite nicely so not looking for a change but would always take a few extra yards. We set up the Nike with the same rough settings as my R11; regular shaft, 9.5 degree loft (although I realise now mine is actually 9 degree) and neutral face. It would have been very interesting to see the stats with the R11. Apparently they're running this for the next few weekends so I might go back for another go and take my driver this time.

T

thecraw

Question?

What the F were you looking at drivers you maniac????

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Couldn't agree more Crawford. Karen did you miss any fairways yesterday? You have your current driver well under control. Remember you were off the Whites aswell and you nearly out drove me once;)

I put one in the first cut of rough, one in a fairway bunker and, of course, my unplayable stance right next to a bunker. Apart from that I was Ok.

I'm not looking for a new driver. The guy was at the range letting folk try for free, analysing the stats and he wasn't busy so I gave it a go. Now I'm obsessing about driver back spin and wondering how to minimise it.... With my own driver.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shouldnt be so hard on yourself, we still took the cash from what I recall.

Karen - going back to the original post, stay away from the Nike Covert, has been known to bring on severe bouts of toothache!

forgot about that Colin (who is so far the best forum golfer ive met), for your first game back in ages, going through 15 1 over and starting birdie birdie is quality golf,
ive a lot to learn although i may interested in Fabians new pre shot routine

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
forgot about that Colin (who is so far the best forum golfer ive met), for your first game back in ages, going through 15 1 over and starting birdie birdie is quality golf,
ive a lot to learn although i may interested in Fabians new pre shot routine

First you need to look like Robinson Crusoe

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
No I didn't get that and do wonder what difference that would make. I'd say that I was hitting up slightly at impact but could be totally mistaken!

Seeing as you're wondering....

Let's say you were launching at 16 degrees and were hitting UP at 5 degrees... that would give you 11 degrees of spin loft (the difference between the two)

Let's say you were launching at 16 degrees and were hitting DOWN at -3 degrees, that would give you 19 degrees of spin loft... therefore 8 degrees worth of extra spin than the above example, actually close to TWICE as much.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hit a few shots with the Nike covert driver at AG today. They were analysing them with flightscope and it was quite interesting. For me they honed in on launch angle and back spin. The launch angle was good but backspin high, we looked at a "heat map" style graph cross referencing these two and it was apparent that the spin significantly reduced my distance potential.

Now, I'm not in the market for a new driver and didn't have my own driver there for comparison but it got me wondering. What can I do with my swing to reduce the spin? Swing more slowly is an obvious option but that would cost me length too. Club head speed was only in the 85-89 range anyway.

What's the theory here? Can I swing more smoothly without losing speed?

I did not know much about this until I got my R11s. Hit some shots on flightscope and I had a similar problem of generating too much backspin but had a good launch angle. What I was told is that the excess backspin is going to make the ball climb too high at the peak of its travel and when it lands it is not going to roll as far due to this. The simple answer was a different shaft and that is what I did.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Without changing your swing, going down in loft will have the biggest effect on back spin but this would decrease your launch angle too. As Adey has said you need to look at a different shaft, one with a stiffer tip section as this can bring the spin down by quite a bit too.