Drills to stay on plane?

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just go though the swing in slow motion. stoping half way back, threequarter back and at the top. Same for the down swing. I just want a feel for how it feels in those positions. Hope that make sense.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Davem, googled loads plus I remembered the old tee in the glove check I used to use.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive been using a thing called the Swingyde.

Its a bit of plastic that fits onto the grip and makes you start and finnish on plane.

Really helped me the last few weeks, hitting it far straighter and no Shermans for a while, touch wood.

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Ive been using the swingyde to, for me it sets the wrists correctly, making the back swing more on plane (steeper for me). Ive also been keeping my right arm up against my chest on the back swing and down, hopefully stopping my over the top movement, and making me use the lower body more.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
videod myself today.....OMG:eek: my swing comes in around and under my shaft plane then over the top of it on the downswing, no-wonder I J Arthur and top, thin, push and pull (some long straight ones to as 2 wrongs sometimes do make a right), that was a nasty and depressing wake up call, but the camera doesnt lie

might try this swingyde thinghy but does it make you stay square on the takeaway?

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
its worth a try.... my pro thinks its one of the best teaching aids out there

for me swing i wasn't setting the club properly on the back swing as a result i couldn't be on plane on the down swing, the swingyde sorted out the back swing, now the down swing feels so much better im more on plane and find myself turning aggressively through the ball, a big improvement to where i was a few months ago

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Got a link for one of these? Is it worth gettin my pro to show me how to use it or can I teach my self

You can buy them online, my pro got mine. Theres a review i did of it in the rev sec.
No reason why you can't just use it by yourself, that what thses things are for. all sorts of traing tips and a cd with instructions.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
how did you get on? what distance apart did you set them?

About 6 foot. t.b.h. I'm not having much fun with it.

I'm good (ok) on the way back, but I certainly can't come down and through outside both sticks, that's just impossible for me.

I'm just taking it back above the plane, then dropping it underneath and getting a "push/draw/hook" path.

It's a mystery.... :(

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
About 6 foot. t.b.h. I'm not having much fun with it.

I'm good (ok) on the way back, but I certainly can't come down and through outside both sticks, that's just impossible for me.

I'm just taking it back above the plane, then dropping it underneath and getting a "push/draw/hook" path.

It's a mystery.... :(

Try tracing the ball target line as I explained earlier.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try tracing the ball target line as I explained earlier.

That's what I've been doing. See my post 01-Jun-2012 16:31 :)

I set the swing station up to get a different feel for it all, and for messing around in the garden.

What the mystery is (and I'm just thinking out loud really) trying to hit the ball when there are two sticks either side of you... :).

I can do the tracing thing.....that bit's OK.

t.b.h. my theory is that the plane is slightly less inclined on the way down so the sticks are kind of "in the way". That also ties in with my pro's theory that an explanar is OK for backswing but dodgy for full swings. He's so anti it that he won't even let me use it.

What do you think? Possible or madness :)