Dress Codes

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Lots of to do about dress codes at the moment. Poll on the web site etc. To me, this is not a black and white issue. Codes maybe need to be relaxed a bit, but do any of us want to see them abolished? I mean torn jeans and a sleevess (wife beater) tee are not ideal golf clothes, and thats only the ladies.

Personally I think jeans are a contentious issue, as they are currently banned at my course, and yet I see plenty of people wearing what in my mind are Jeans (back pockets are sewn onto jeans, but cut into trousers, regardless of colour / type of cloth / number of rivets). Cargo trousers are also banned, although some still wear them without comment.

There is an interesting take on these crew neck tops also. Lots of the pros are wearing them. The committee has decided that just because nike, addidas et al call them a golf shirt, doesn't make it a golf shirt, so they are banned too, except during the club open, when it would be rude to turn away half of the field (mildly irritating for the members obviously, whose shirts hang uselessly in the wardrobe, waiting for a society day or holiday).

What isn't banned though, is wearing the same pair of trousers, sweat stained hat and moth eaten jumper that has been worn without washing for every round of golf in the last 20 years, and then stuffed into a locker to rot quietly, although not odourlessly.

I think I would rather someone wore clean jeans really.

I would also happily ban black golf shoes with work socks and navy chino shorts. Not a good combo. especially on a middle aged fat bloke with white pasty legs.

Many would ban my bright pink trousers given the option, or my lime green and yellow ones, but luckily they conform, so tough luck.

As a result I shall not be voting in the poll, it needs to be way more specific.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am of the opinion the any dress code should be a set of guidelines applied with common sense. As far as I am concerned,as long as the individual is dressed 'appropriately' then they should be allowed to play and this should remain at the discretion of the course. I would be quite happy for those who are well turned out in non-regulation attire to play in the same way that I would be equally happy for those who turn up in dirty, scruffy but regulation attire to be asked to reconsider their choice of clothing. I know I am living in a dreamworld as there will always be those in authority who thrive on the strict application of rules and regulations but, then again, this may well be the reason that a number of clubs who apply such a rigid policy are struggling for new members.

Brookwood

Hacker
Visit site
You can't draw a straight line for this. Do you remember restaurants turning away people without ties? There are now an awful lot of golf courses about and I get the impression that some of them are indeed struggling against the competition. But is relaxing the dress code the way to get more members?

We are all different and I think it is nice that some clubs have strict dress codes and others don't, then you can choose which you prefer and vote with your feet and wallet.

I happen to like dressing smartly, it makes me feel good and if I feel good perhaps I'll play good.

Voting yes or no is too precise.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have to agree with some of what you say. In the same way that putting my kit on made me feel ready when I used to play rugby, donning my golf gear puts me in the right frame of mind for the game to come.

I think much of my concern is the pedantic application of dress codes where golfers who look perfectly smart are turned away.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Don't you think that someone who at least wants to look like a golfer will also know how to behave like one? I imagine that a player who goes onto a course in rugby shirt, jeans and trainers will also be a player who doesn't replace divots, repair pitchmarks or rake bunkers. He might also be oblivious to the faster players he is holding up.
I know it's a generalisation but.......

B

birdieman

Collar on the shirt, no denim blue jeans, must wear golf shoes - That's it really.
Hate those figure hugging round neck smock things some pros wear, shouldn't have been allowed - they look awful on pros, even worse on amateurs.
Ian Poulter is a good example of being loud but he's still smart looking.
On another note -
Pros should be made to take off their caps indoors or when doing interviews. Standing there in a formal Masters jacket or Heritage jacket with a dumb cap on looks ridiculous.
The most annoying thing for me is the ladies champ at the Kraft Nabisco getting presented with the trophy in a white hotel dressing gown just cos they're stupid enough to jump in a pond before they get the cup cos some other egit did it once years ago.
Chinos, cotton collared shirt and lambswool sweater = best golf clothes you can wear.

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally i’m in favour with the idea of Golf Clubs having a ‘Dress Code’. Obviously there are variations in ‘Dress Codes’ to be expected from course to course as some are Pitch’n’Putt pay as you go types whereas others are £2000 a year members only courses. Each particular Golf Club is appealing to a particular section of the golfing market and as such can specify a particular ‘Dress Code’ relative to their requirements.

Not sure what all the fuss is about to be honest as I think it’s great to dress up and look the part on a golf course as there are so many funky golf clothes on the market.

Pink golf trousers, it’s the future ;)

DHM.

DCB

Visit site
I belong to a club where we did remove certain restrictions regarding the dress code in the clubhouse. It was as a way to entice more people in to the bar after a round or on a social visit to use the bar or catering. It has probably worked well on the whole, but, there are always one or two who push it just a bit too far.

We still have traditional code on the course, but it seems to get flouted regularly.

In summer, if we get one, black shoes, black socks and shorts, oh dear where are the fashion police when you need them?

NEWQUAYTR7

Hacker
Visit site
Played Tehidy by Cambourne yesterday & was pulled up for wearing black socks with shoes & shorts. Did't bother me i only put them on for a coffee in the clubhouse. Not that i wear black socks & shoes.

Brookwood

Hacker
Visit site
Isn't it all a matter of your own personal opinion about what is smart? And do the actual colours matter?

Most people recognise scruffy but have you been down your local high street recently, nobody dresses up to go out these days, least of all to the shops?

I put it down to laziness, people can't be bothered and that will gradually invade the golf course. People have to be persuaded that they would play better with the right clothes and it should be something they want to do right from the start. There shouldn't need to be any notices about jeans etc, it should be automatic just as when you to onto a football field you dress in shorts then you go on a golf course in the right trousers.

I know I'm a wishful thinking dinosaur but I will continue to set an example in the hope it might encourage others.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
People have to be persuaded that they would play better with the right clothes and it should be something they want to do right from the start.

I must agree with this comment. When I played last summer and wore shorts I played like a tourist who had never swung a club before. I firmly agree that we must try and keep high standards because in this day and age when you give people an inch they take a mile.

Hoppy

Club Champion
Visit site
People have to be persuaded that they would play better with the right clothes and it should be something they want to do right from the start.

I must agree with this comment. When I played last summer and wore shorts I played like a tourist who had never swung a club before. I firmly agree that we must try and keep high standards because in this day and age when you give people an inch they take a mile.

Now I have to disagree with this statement, I played in shorts on Sunday as our small club has relaxed rules on dress. I shot a Gross 89, Net 65 and was very happy with the way I played as I came 4th in The Medal(Net 62 won it).

Don't get me wrong I do agree with dressing the part when I go to bigger clubs but I also feel that you should feel comfortable. To some people that is Suits and Ties to others it is Smart casual i.e. Polo shirts and Trousers and others tailored shorts and polo shirts.

I don't think Jeans should be allowed even though you can pay well over £100 for some and I don't agree with tee shirts. Times have changed though and to keep younger players interested in the great game of golf, maybe some places need to re-think?

Coopsarama

Club Champion
Visit site
Personally I would never consider wearing anything other than trousers, polo shirt and decent shoes. I am a fan of thenew roll neck typethings though. I think they are here to stay and the comfort and ease of movement they provide i excellent. Dress codes evolve,they will keep doing so.

oasis90

Hacker
Visit site
Dress code is an important issue I feel, especially with the juniors amoungst our golf clubs' in mind. It's not often I go down to my club and don't see a senior member of the club picking on someone for the way they are dressed (albeit only a loose shirt or untied shoelace). All of these petty things are real annoyances and are not particularly necessary, especially for beginners or young juniors. If you begin to get strict and petty about dress with these beginners they risk being put off of the game for life. Why can't we loosen the dress code a bit for these beginners and let them fall in love with the game first before we get all fussy about what they wear.

As for the issue of round collared 'tiger woods' shirts, there should be no argument what so ever over whether or not they should be allowed on the golf course. The issue of not being allowed to wear them seems to have come from the old guys of the club from the days of plus fours who seem to have no grasp of the game moving into the modern era. The same goes for ankle or sports shoe liner socks. I believe they look smart and fashionable, so why should they be banned at my club? They aren't so hot to play in and they come as an attraction to the younger ones amoungst us.

So all in all, dress codes should be relaxed a little but not to the extent of jeans perhaos. Tiger Woods shirts and ankle socks are fine but it is fair that some sense of tradition should be kept within the dress code. I do think you raise a good point about the stained hats and rotten jumpers and would agree that some form of rule should be implied to those who do dress in what would be considered the right clothes. Even when they don't quite meet the acceptable standards of 'smartness'...

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There's too much emphasis on what the Professionals wear in this discussion. Don't forget that they, by and large, get paid to wear what they do, and they also have advise from the designers to ensure that they don't look stupid in the clothes they are trying to promote. I have never seen a Pro on TV who doesn't look good in what he or she is wearing, but if you put such clothing on the average member at my Club, I'm afraid the effect would be quite the reverse. The 'dress code' has been carefully worked out over the years to allow the type of dress that suits most Club golfers, and prohibit the more outlandish attire. You give golfers carte blanche to wear what they like and the whole game would become a laughing stock. You certainly wouldn't get the modern youngsters joining such a group. The last thing they want is to see middle aged men wearing the same gear as they do.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Found out something interesting at the weekend, when I complimented our vice captain on his choice of jeans. Now whilst jeans are banned at my course, apparently you are allowed to wear 'jean cut' trousers. This is fantastic, although how you tell the difference is beyond me.

'cargo cut' trousers are still banned.