DQ for not following club rule

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Can a club DQ a competitor from a competition for not following a rule they have put in place to monitor certain behaviour, for example the completion time of a round?

I'm assuming they can but the card will still count for handicapping purposes.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 15344

If it's a condition of the comp they I think they can DQ you but card still counts towards HC

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can a club DQ a competitor from a competition for not following a rule they have put in place to monitor certain behaviour, for example the completion time of a round?

I'm assuming they can but the card will still count for handicapping purposes.

Thanks

If it's purely time taken to play, surely the player should have the chance to explain why it took 5 hours. Was it due to people being slow ahead, and were they sanctioned?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
6-7 - Undue Delay; Slow Play

The player must play without undue delay and in accordance with any pace of play guidelines that the Committee may establish. Between completion of a hole and playing from the next teeing ground, the player must not unduly delay play.

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 6-7:
Match play – Loss of hole; Stroke play – Two strokes.
Bogey and par competitions – See Note 2 to Rule 32-1a.

Stableford competitions – See Note 2 to Rule 32-1b.
For subsequent offence – Disqualification.

Note 2: If the competitor is in breach of Rule 6-3a (Time of Starting) but arrives at his starting point, ready to play, within five minutes after his starting time, or is in breach of Rule 6-7 (Undue Delay; Slow Play), the Committee will deduct two points from the total points scored for the round. For a repeated offence under Rule 6-7, see Rule 32-2a.

So for a first offence i would say DQ would not be allowed

Last edited:

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Apologies, I rushed that email before ducking out of the office for the day.

The offence isn't the completion time of the round itself, it's not recording it on the scorecard. They've asked for all members to fill in the time they tee off and the time they hole out on 18 as part of a club effort to pinpoint slow players. They've stated that it's a DQ to anyone who doesn't fill in this information.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

The offence isn't the completion time of the round itself, it's not recording it on the scorecard. They've asked for all members to fill in the time they tee off and the time they hole out on 18 as part of a club effort to pinpoint slow players. They've stated that it's a DQ to anyone who doesn't fill in this information.

In that case, I think not but other sanctions are available.

Last edited:

DCB

Visit site

I'd say a DQ is not warranted under those conditions but I can't lay my hands on the Decisions Book at the moment to confirm it.

D

Deleted member 15344

In that case, I think not.

What if they include it as a condition of the competition that the time must be included ?

For example we are possibly looking to make it a CoC that the score must be entered into the PSI or the player will be DQ'd

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
What if they include it as a condition of the competition that the time must be included ?

For example we are possibly looking to make it a CoC that the score must be entered into the PSI or the player will be DQ'd

So, if the committee decided to make it a CoC that you had to draw a picture of a cuddly toy on the scorecard, it would be OK to DQ those who didn't.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Committee-itis strikes again!

Cannot DQ for that - but can apply other sanctions, such as not being allowed to enter next comp etc.

It's also a very lazy and clumsy way to identify slow players - and quite likely won't achieve its goal! Noble mission, but a better method is required - a spot of marshaling for example!

If they try to DQ any player for not entering finish time, then contact the Area Authority who will set the club straight!

D

Deleted member 15344

So, if the committee decided to make it a CoC that you had to draw a picture of a cuddly toy on the scorecard, it would be OK to DQ those who didn't.

Why not ? But surely if it's for valid reasons and everyone knows the conditions

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't read it on I phone

Can you expand please

Q. The administration ofhandicapping has become increasingly the domain of the computer resulting in
Handicap Committees requiring competitors to provide assistance in various ways beyond that required by the Rules of Golf. These include:
• Total the score and apply the correct handicap.
• Enter and total Stableford points on their card.
• On completion ofthe round enter scores hole by hole into a computer terminal.
• Enter on the scorecard their computer reference number.
• Indicate on the card scores to be adjusted by the application of Nett Double Bogey or the Stableford
formula.
Can the Committee in charge ofthe competition, or Handicap Committee, impose a penalty under the Rulesof Golf when a player fails to comply with a request of the nature listed above?
A. R&A Rules Limited has confirmed that “provided a player fulfils the requirements of Rule 6-6 a
penalty cannot be imposed under the Rules of Golf for failure to comply with these conditions.
However, imposing a penalty of a disciplinary nature, such as suspension of handicap is not
considered to be contrary to the Rules of Golf.” An alternative penalty would be to suspend the
player’s right to compete in Club competitions for a specified period. (See R&A Decisions on the
Rules of Golf, Decision 6-6b/8).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Q. The administration ofhandicapping has become increasingly the domain ofthe computer resulting in
Handicap Committees requiring competitors to provide assistance in various ways beyondthat requiredby
the Rules ofGolf. These include:
• Total the score and apply the correct handicap.
• Enter and total Stableford points on their card.
• On completion ofthe round enter scores hole by hole into a computer terminal.
• Enter on the scorecard their computer reference number.
• Indicate on the card scores to be adjusted by the application ofNett Double Bogey or the Stableford
formula.
Can the Committee in charge ofthe competition, or Handicap Committee, impose a penalty under the Rules
ofGolfwhen a player fails to comply with a request ofthe nature listed above?
A. R&A Rules Limited has confirmed that “provided a player fulfils the requirements of Rule 6-6 a
penalty cannot be imposed under the Rules ofGolffor failure to comply with these conditions.
However, imposing a penalty of a disciplinary nature, such as suspension of handicap is not
considered to be contrary to the Rules ofGolf.” An alternative penalty would be to suspend the
player’s right to compete in Club competitions for a specified period. (See R&A Decisions on the
Rules of Golf, Decision 6-6b/8).

So they don't say you can't DQ someone for not entering their score into the PC.

D

Deleted member 15344

Have I missed where it mentioned Disqualification ?

It says a penalty of a disciplinary nature can be applied ? Can that not include DQ from that comp whilst still allowing the score to be valid towards HC

Edit: it has been mentioned to the county and EGU and both have said a number clubs do make it a CoC and people do get DQ for not entering their score into the PSI

Last edited by a moderator: