Double bogies

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A couple of years ago - it may have more, someone on the forum raised a point about double bogies. They said that if you played above a handicap of around 12 or 13 it was very likely you had never had a round of golf without a double or worse on your card. If I remember correctly they made the point that it was better to concentrate on keeping doubles off your card than counting pars and birdies.
As an 18 handicapper this made perfect sense to me as soon as I realised that even in my very best rounds I had always had a couple of doubles and it became an ambition, like the OP to complete a double bogie free round.
After 9 holes at the weekend I realised I hadn't had a double and it was game on and by the time I was well into the back 9 the record was still intact. On the 16th I pulled my drive into trouble, recovered reasonably well but it left me with a long putt for gross bogie. The ball stopped right on the lip.
17 and 18 were completed in bogie, so to handicap.
I guess that's as close as I will get and 2 under nett was never going to be good enough to win the comp, but overall I am pretty happy. I have been seeking consistency for a long time and it's the odd bad hole that has been holding me back.
As a reference to the state of your game, I think checking on the number of doubles you are scoring and taking steps to reduce them is a good way to go. It's less affirming than counting pars and birdies, but if you take the doubles out of your score the pars and birdies will come. For anyone who plays off around 18 it's also a great challenge and one not easy to complete.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
When HID asked how things went I will usually start with double bogies or the lack of them as a talking point/stat. She knows I hate them so! If I have a bad score but no doubles I can be happy.

Last edited:

Cityfanbrian

Club Champion
Www.fairfieldgolfclub.co.uk
Doubles are not my problem, its the trebles and above, I'm an 18 handicapper and I regularly have 7 or 8 pars then shoot 3 or 4 over my handicap meaning I lose my 18 shots plus the 7 or 8 I make up with the pars on the 10 remaining holes, very frustrating.

D

Deleted member 21258

This year in comps I have shot from 75 to about 100 and none of them have been double free rounds. Even in friendly 18 holes it is rare that I don't have at least one double.

With my swing and the way I like to play the game, I am never going to get the ball round without a double almost, so for me its a matter of how many birdies or pars I get to help offset those little suckers of doubles.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
This year in comps I have shot from 75 to about 100 and none of them have been double free rounds. Even in friendly 18 holes it is rare that I don't have at least one double.

With my swing and the way I like to play the game, I am never going to get the ball round without a double almost, so for me its a matter of how many birdies or pars I get to help offset those little suckers of doubles.

I bet that is a big part of it or a pivotal comment.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I've never had a round without any doubles. My best ever round had two of them (alongside 6 pars and 10 bogies). I was off 22 at the time so that gave me 44 points and lots of 'bandit' shouts!

I agree that minimising their appearances is the best measure of whether I've had a good round or not.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I played yesterday and had 2 doubles (1 of which was a silly 3 putt) and went round in 84, which I was pretty happy with for an 18 handicapper

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
same problem with me, the last medal I played started with a bogey then 6 pars and a birdie, before finishing the ninth with a bogey, so +1 at the turn, then double after double with a quad and two trebles to leave in the clubhouse having failed to play to handicap,

If I knew what went wrong then I wouldn't be struggling of 14

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's not as easy as it sounds so don't be too disappointed with a double on your card.

I've got 18 rounds showing for this year on masterscoreboard, only 4 of them are free of doubles or worse. I play off 4.

Even with the best game plan, stuff happens. You might hit a wild drive, chip out, then miss the green or 3 putt. Or maybe put it in a bunker and the club bounces because there's no sand in it and you blade it over the other side.
You just have to shrug and move on.

The ones you need to eliminate are the self induced ones. Going for the miracle shot when the reward isn't great enough, that sort of thing. Just don't play any recovery shots that bring double into play.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's not just the higher handicappers looking to keep doubles off the card.
It's arguably more important for the lower handicapper to keep them off as they have less chance to recover those shots.
If a 20 capper makes a double but pars the next hole then they're back on track
A low single capper makes a double and he needs 2 birdies to recover.
Ok, they're more likely to make a birdie but it puts pressure on you.
Hate doubles.....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sadly I'm struggling to have a round without a double (or worse) on the card. Fourteen of fifteen acceptable holes always seemingly blighted with a couple of horror shows. That's what I need to stop. It's an ongoing problem and it's never the same hole

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Sadly I'm struggling to have a round without a double (or worse) on the card. Fourteen of fifteen acceptable holes always seemingly blighted with a couple of horror shows. That's what I need to stop. It's an ongoing problem and it's never the same hole

We will have to tap Rick and Pete up on Monday for some on course coaching

Goldie

Club Champion
Visit site
I read a post/thread a while ago that gave tips on how to improve your handicap; get in play off the tee...get inside 150...find middle of green etc etc. Tried looking for it the other day but can't find it. Anyone able to link me to it?