Dorset opinions please folks

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Been a while since I've been down there...looking to put a trip together for next summer

How good is Ferndown these days? Its cheaper than Broadstone and Parkstone... have played last 2 but not Ferndown. Is there much of a gap.

Looking to revisit Remedy on the way down , then play two of the other 3.

Also, any inexpensive hotels you'd recommend for a party of 6 or 8 not wanting to overspend on accommodation! (nor slum it knowing that lot!)

Thoughts appreciated

D

Deleted Member 1156

Hi Ian, I'm a local but just about to shoot off from work but I can give you a full heads up later :thup:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Ferndown and Parkstone are the 2 best conditioned courses right now although Broadstone is the best layout. They are the big 3 then you have Remedy Oak further inland and Isle of Purbeck is well worth playing as well. Stunning views over there and some really good holes as well.

Dropping down a level you then have Dudsbury which is relatively new, American style parkland track which is really not my cup of tea and Knighton Heath which is not too bad. Couple of municipals too in Meyrick Park and Queens Park. Queens isn't maintained very well at all but Meyrick is definitely worth playing. The 5 par3 holes are outstanding, the only downside is it's on common land and dog walkers have right of way.

If you need anymore info feel free to give me a shout.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All of the above are worth playing, especially ferndown and parkstone. If you want to stay at a hotel on a course then have a look at the dorset golf and country club.

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
I am a member at Ferndown and the course is getting better all the time. They have Murray Long (ex Sunningdale courses manager) overseeing the maintenance and improvement program.

All bunkers are being renovated this winter and you will not be disappointed playing the course next year. I would say it's certainly the best golfing experience in Dorset.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I recently went down to Bournemouth and played Parkstone, Ferndown and Broadstone.
Broadstones greens weren't in the best condition but I would go back and play any of those three courses again in a heartbeat.
I've played Remedy Oak before too.
Personally found it a bit "quirky" and I wouldn't rush back to play there.
Have also played Purbeck, albeit a long, long time ago.
I'd love to go back sometime and give that another bash as I seem to remember some really good holes.
I was hacking around off 23 at the time though, so spent more time looking for balls than appreciating the scenery.