Donating a Laptop

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just replaced my boys laptop, previously mine and was thinking about donating it to his school for them to distribute to anyone who needs one for home schooling. I see Windows 10 has an option to wipe all user data and documents, does anyone know how safe this option is for destroying data?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just replaced my boys laptop, previously mine and was thinking about donating it to his school for them to distribute to anyone who needs one for home schooling. I see Windows 10 has an option to wipe all user data and documents, does anyone know how safe this option is for destroying data?

Always best to do a destructive format to raw and then re-install.
Never trust Microsoft's "deletion" software.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
If you donate via the BBC make a difference campaign your PC/Laptop will be securly wiped before it is re-issued.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Buy a new cheap HD and put it in, I use old hard drives for cold storage of important data like family photos and home movies etc. It’s not perfect but an extra backup never hurts!

Mandofred

Visit site
I shouldn't, but I tend to take a large hammer to my old computers/hard drives. I just don't trust anybody.....
tenor.gif