does your club suspended membership when injured?

keef

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some clubs do and some don,t. My club has taken advice from the golfers union who advised that a credit be given against next years subs when more than 6 months play is lost through injury. The credit is worth 50% of the period of lost play.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thats a nice gesture,and something i feel all clubs should do,especially in the present econonmic climate.
I've heard some horror stories about people having to give up playing for a period of time because of injury,only to find out that they are not entitled to any kind of refund or credit against future membership,even though the injury/illness may have happened at the start of the membership year.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What next... refunds for rainy days ?

Therein lies another bone of contention.
At my former club,we were forced to play two loops of the same 9,for almost 4 months after wet weather had damaged other holes because of the river flooding onto it almost weekly during a bad/wet winter.We were offerd no kind of refund,or discount on the following years membership.
Are the members who pay good money for a 18 hole championship course,supposed to say "oh well,its not the owners fault" ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having lost membership before through injury I made sure I was able to freeze my membership (i pay mthly) at any point if I picked up a serious injury (ie my knee going again)

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i dont think so but id like to find out. il also ask about freezing my membership due to work. usually im out of the country for 8 months at a time on operations, this is the first year in 8 years that i have been in the up for 7 months straight. id like to find out if my club will allow me to hold my membership if i end up going away for 8 months at a few months notice. id hate to join in april, my my yearly subs then be called away for 8 months.at the moment, they offer no flexible membership

kinhell

Head Pro
Visit site
I have slipped a couple of discs recently and having an operation next week so won't be playing for a while. The club has said they will knock off the unused remaining months membership off next years fees.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know some golf insurance policies cover it and you can claim a percentage of your annual subs back if you can't play through illness or injury but I guess otherwise it's up to each club and how well you get on with them.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really couldn't say for my club, I'd guess the official line would be "no, don't be silly" BUT (and here's the thing)- if I was properly unable to play for a while, I'd try and strike a deal with them. If they offered to do nothing, then I'd most probably jump ship to another course. They know that, so I'd expect pragmatism to win.

Long term, it might be better for a club to offer some leeway, but essentially, once you've paid, you've paid.

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A friend of mine is suffering from an arthritic ( speling?) joint and has to call it quits for a long period. His club say he needs to keep paying till March. His credit contract is however with Fairway Credit, who say he can stop paying now on the basis of his Doctor & Physio sign offs - which he is doing.

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
One of our members slipped on a very slippary wooden bridge on the course and broke his leg. He asked the club to suspend his membership and they flatly refused. That is a shitty approach IMO.

He is now taking them to court. It could have been avoided.