Does your club charge an Admin Fee for competitions?

Does your club charge an Admin Fee for competitions?

• Only Sweep and/or Twos money - all returned as prize/pro shop account

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Percentage of sweep fee retained

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Separate fee from the Sweep/Twos

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • We don't pay for competitions at all

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Percentage retained to cover cost of Trophies/engraving

Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Recently a friend's club has decided that they will introduce an administration fee for all comps, I've never heard of this happening anywhere before, the club in question says it is common. What is the script at your club?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If by an admin fee that means retaining some money for engraving and for vouchers for the prizegiving day then yes.

To pay someone to administrate the comps then no.

I would expect that to be part of running the club paid for by membership fees.

Springveldt

Visit site
Our board comps on a Saturday are £4 all in. £2 for the comp, £1 sweep and £1 twos.

To be honest, I’ve no idea if the club keeps some, I would assume so but last time (and only time) I won a board comp was over 5 years ago and I got £120 in shop/bar credit for it.

Even last season I was 2nd and got £90 for it, so we definitely pay most of the money back out to the winners.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We're £4 entry for the comps and the twos and sweep are optional and run via the pro shop. Club pays top three in each division and keeps a percentage per comp to cover engraving at the end of the season

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
If by an admin fee that means retaining some money for engraving and for vouchers for the prizegiving day then yes.

To pay someone to administrate the comps then no.

I would expect that to be part of running the club paid for by membership fees.
I've added that as a fifth option, fair comment.

This I believe is not that case, just a retainer being made by the club.

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
I've added that as an option now Homer

Similar here either £4 or £4-50 depending upon the competition prize money to 3rd place in division medal and 5th place in single divisional competition, 25% retained by M&H for engraving, Honours Board, Perpetual Trophies and M&H provide the Buffet at end of season Trophy Night

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It has always happened where I play (35 years of membership) but last year saw a big increase in the amount.
The management have said it is partly to cover the extra costs of computer systems.

What is a bit 'weird' about it is that we have had the computer systems for years and the winnings go in to the the pro shop which is owned by the club.

I have always been of the belief that all members should pay the costs of running the club and a member could not be selective about which costs they should pay. Without all the facilities the club would not be as successful as it is.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ours costs £3 to enter a competition, plus an optional additional £2 for sweep & twos. My previous club was roughly the same I think.

ntommo

Visit site
Our comps are mostly £5 but some are £3. The £5 comps are shared out as all the £3 are shared between 1st and 2nd, £1 is for the twos and the Handicap Committee keep £1 from every entry as we have costs to cover such as engraving, course signage, scorecards and presentation evening.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Propriety club

£3 comp fees
Optional £2 for the twos

Nominal amounts retained for end of year prize giving/ engraving, plus a few other player associated costs
Winnings paid on to club card

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
For a number of the posts above, people don't really know if there is an admin fee bundled up in the cost or not. There may be, there may not be. I certainly don't know at my place.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We pay £3 for most competitions and £1 optional 2's. 100% of this is returned to members by way of credit on winners' green card for use in Pro Shop, Bar or Catering, on which the Club makes a margin. Attributable costs such as engraving and Honours Boards are met by the Club. Obviously as a members club we effectively pay these expenses as our annual subs are used to meet all costs, competition, course, clubhouse or whatever.

Skytot

Visit site
I know what 2’s means but what do you mean by Sweep ? Didn’t have this at my old club , just joined a new club after 14 yrs out and not got my hcp yet so not been able to enter the comps .

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't know...and from an entrant perspective when entry to such as a medal is only £3 then it doesn't really matter that much to me - if at all. As it happens I think there is a small amount taken for comp admin. I think that if I enter the 2s comp - the £2 entry all goes into the prize pot to be divvied up.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I know what 2’s means but what do you mean by Sweep ? Didn’t have this at my old club , just joined a new club after 14 yrs out and not got my hcp yet so not been able to enter the comps .
A pot of money given out as prize money.
At our place we have scratch and handicap sweeps and different handicap categories.
These are optional.