Does your club adjust your handicap in Winter ?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seen a few success stories on here regarding handicap cuts over the weekend.

At our club, winter rules came into effect at the start of November and as such our handicaps do not get adjusted based on competitions scores. We don't have medals in winter, mainly stablefords, bogey comps and team comps.

So, two questions

Does your club adjust your handicap in Winter ?

Would you want winter competitions to be handicap qualifying ?

Brookesy

Head Pro
www.chippingsodburygolfclub.co.uk
Re: Does your club adjust your handicap in Winter

Our competitons are only qualifiers still because were still playing on normal greens and tees, im pretty sure we will be forced onto temporarys soon though and winter "mats" (YUCK) and then they will become non qualifiers, we did have placing come into play on the weekend though.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site

No ours is the same as yours and after a hectic season of up's and downs with every score counting for handicap the break is most welcome TBH.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

If you're playing the full length course on proper greens off full h'cap you should be playing qualifiers. You don't have to but CONGU positively encourage clubs to do this and my opinion is that they should be.

We have 1 qualifier a month between November and March which are stablefords, personally I wish there were more.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

We don't have many, but they do count. That said, standard scratch drops to a frighteningly low number, so getting any thing out of it is hard.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Our comps aren't qualifiers through the winter.

We play off the yellow tees, but it is still a measured course with its' own SSS so I see no reason why we can't have qualifiers all year round, and it irks me.

If conditions become unfair (ie. frozen or very boggy) then declare a comp non-qualifying, but to do it to all of them makes no sense to me.

D

Deleted member 1740

Our season stops in the middle of october then we have a non qualifying winter league comp which is 7/8 of handicap, were preferred lies are in affect.

The last 5 weeks i've averaged 36pts playing off 17, 2 under my official handicap will i be able to be cut under rule 19?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Ours qualify until the winter mats and a few temporary greens are in place. That's not a set date rather than when the head greenkeeper feels the grass won't grow anymore and the tees need protecting.

I'm happy enough though that we have no upcoming competitions and looking forward to a winter of hard practice and come out fighting in spring to get my handicap down :cool:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site

Last w/end was the last qualifier. Nothing counts now until March when the first of the medals will start again.

Almost all our comps over the winter are teams events, or the pairs winter league. Not much else in terms of singles anyway.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site

My God - it must be grim from watford gap "oop north" - we will have a very occasional winter green in the worst of the weather, and we'll always be off our tees.

I shall have to stop moaning about our greenkeeping given that they obviously keep our course running all year round.

Every monthly medal is a qualfiier. Nov to March are stablefords however - which i never understand, given that handicaps are adjusted on stableford anyway.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I was going to say no but had a very random e-mail from the club saying my handicap on HDID was not 13.1 and had effectively gone up 0.5 shots. I was 12.8 after the last stablefird (which has mysteriously disappeared of the comp results on the club HDID site). I'm not sure if this is some kind of annual revision but I've written to the club for clarification. Far from happy and would rather let my imcomptence build up the handicap rather than a random act of benevolance

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Ours does. The course doesnt close, apart from bank holidays so we have a comp every weekend. From what I gather so far they all count towards handicap too (apart from the 4 club competition 2 weeks back). I dont think I've known a weekend when there wasnt a comp on at our place since Ive been a member (back in January.

I had my best round on Saturday too, first time under 90 with a card in my hand an no gimme's. Shot 88 for 42 points, so I could be in with a shout in the comp. I will also get my first ever handicap cut too! Quite looking forward to seeing what it will be...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

No, We're on short course.

I don't have a problem with this, the tees need a rest. Grass doesn't grow up here from Nov onwards.

why play for your handicap, play for fun...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Qualifiers right thro winter. Usually two a month. The conditions dictate whether or not its declared otherwise.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site

We have a quiet spell from the last Medal in October until the Winter Stableford league starts in Feb but the Winter League is used to adjust handicaps.

Jason.H

Visit site
Our club has stablefords Saturday and Sunday and Wednesday through the winter all tees off mats. My concern is I could easily cut my handicap through the winter then struggle of the back tees (whites) throughout the summer.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site

Our comps aren't qualifiers through the winter.

We play off the yellow tees, but it is still a measured course with its' own SSS so I see no reason why we can't have qualifiers all year round, and it irks me.

If conditions become unfair (ie. frozen or very boggy) then declare a comp non-qualifying, but to do it to all of them makes no sense to me.
Your club are in the wrong then, with the introduction of WHS, if you're playing a measured course, then scores count whatever the time of year