Does a grip too small cause me to draw the ball

Kreff

Hacker
Visit site
Hi,I'm 6'6'' and have all my irons fitted but my rescue wood 21 degree RBZ is drawing when i hit it. Do i need to make the grip thicker for my big hands. Play off 5 but this club causing me too many inconsistencies on the course. Had new grip fitted to driver and this goes well. Just a thought. Any help please.ThanksKreff

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
the thinner a grip is the more active it can allow your hands to be, so yes fair chance that if you have too small a grip it is letting you flip the clubhead a bit, personally think grip fitting is very undervalued, the amount of obsession there is with having the correct grip position yet the same doesnt apply to what you are gripping. personally I always ensure I have all my grips to the same thickness (midsize +1 layer as per my Orka fitting)

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the RBZ is draw biased mind,I always hit it left hence went for the tour model.
Best keep the grips consistent and if you have a midsize grip or serveral layers on the rest of your clubs then this is probably a good starting point

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have all my grips to the same thickness (midsize +1 layer as per my Orka fitting for my shovel like hands)

edited for you Steve :)

I have to admit I find standard to skinny even though I havent got massive hands. I always add +1 layer when I regrip. If your other clubs have extra layers etc then the same should apply for all of them surely?

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
I have a standard grip with 3 layers on top and 1 at the bottom on my driver to get my hands working more.everything else is midsize as per my fitting.works well for me. Used to play normal grips but the fitter noticed I flipped my hands as they were too small. Grip size is definitely overlooked.its your only point of contact with the club

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi,I'm 6'6'' and have all my irons fitted but my rescue wood 21 degree RBZ is drawing when i hit it. Do i need to make the grip thicker for my big hands.

possibly, as others have said; I would certainly have it the same as my other grips - if it's already the same size then probably something else!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've just renewed my grips with extra tape +3 layers and it seems to have helped ease an occasional hook,
Do a check on your grip and see if your grip is correct.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've just renewed my grips with extra tape +3 layers and it seems to have helped ease an occasional hook,
Do a check on your grip and see if your grip is correct.

I'm also take 3 extra layers unless I'm using a smaller grip.

When I had my irons fitted, the fitter suggested 2 layers as opposed to the 3 I usually take. The Mizuno M21 grip does feel a little thin in my hands and will probably be renewed at the end of the season for something more familiar.

As per the OP. Have a pro or club fitter take a look at you and your club. He'll advise the best grip and any required building up.