Doctors cerrt for buggy

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi all
Appreciate guidance on this . Struggling with knee injury . I rang club to double check it was ok to play in a buggy .
Its ok once i have a doctors cert ..
I will get cert as its the club rules and must possibly be a CoC .
Has this Golf Rule not been changed tho ? does a player need a cert under general rules of golf any more ?
Does any club need this rule anymore ?
Thanks in advance
Bill

Steven Rules

Visit site
Hi all
Appreciate guidance on this . Struggling with knee injury . I rang club to double check it was ok to play in a buggy .
Its ok once i have a doctors cert ..
I will get cert as its the club rules and must possibly be a CoC .
Has this Golf Rule not been changed tho ? does a player need a cert under general rules of golf any more ?
Does any club need this rule anymore ?
Thanks in advance
Bill
This is a club policy issue, not a rules of golf issue.

wjemather

Visit site
Individual clubs and/or competition committees are free to decide whether to allow them or not.
Given it's a source of income, I can't think most clubs would want to prevent use, other than in exceptional circumstances or for special events, e.g. to protect the course, club championship, etc.

salfordlad

Visit site
This is a club policy issue, not a rules of golf issue.
Adding only that there is nothing in the Rules that prevent any player getting around the course anyway they wish - walking, carrying, having a caddie, having a push cart or anything electric that motors by itself or can be ridden. However, there are Local Rules that a club or tournament can invoke that limit these options, should the club or tournament administrator wish to do so.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your GP may not be keen to complete this form - not NHS work and some practices hate this sort of stuff.

At least it isn't a fitness to do a parachute jump form, though.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been a buggy user for over 30 years not only was it requirement to provide a medical certificate I also had to provide proof that I am insured for Public Liability when using my own buggy.

Up until this year a medical certificate was needed if you wanted to use one in club comp but we removed this requirement this year

I have visited several clubs where I have had to show them proof of medical need and PL insurance. Some clubs require you to show a driving licence.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
13 years ago I saw someone using a buggy in the Club Champs when it was a very hot day. I thought to myself, "I'll do that next year."

So for 12 years it has been my one day of the year in a buggy. I have no physical ailment other than age.

I was told this year, "Not allowed for Club Championship." I did not ask why for fear of getting into an argument with those who state, "It has been decided."

On the day I did see two buggies out on the course used by players not in the Club Championship.

It might give me an advantage. But those less than half my age with much younger legs have an advantage when I'm barred from having a buggy.
I think that those who make the "IT HAS BEEN DECIDED" stuff have taken a step backwards.
Were they guilty of inaction for 13 years? - I ask myself.
What reprimand have they given themselves for 13 years of negligence, I wonder?

Rant over. Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
13 years ago I saw someone using a buggy in the Club Champs when it was a very hot day. I thought to my self, "I'll do that next year."

So for 12 years it has been my one day of the year in a buggy. I have no physical ailment other than age.

I was told this year, "Not allowed for Club Championship." I did not ask why for fear of getting into an argument with those who state, "It has been decided."

On the day I did see two buggies out on the course used by players not in the Club Championship.

It might give me an advantage. But those less than half my age with much younger legs have an advantage when I'm barred from having a buggy.
I think that those who make the "IT HAS BEEN DECIDED" stuff have taken a step backwards.
Were they guilty of inaction for 13 years? - I ask myself.
What reprimand have they given themselves for 13 years of negligence, I wonder?

Rant over. Thank you for reading.
That seems a bit harsh when clubs are trying to be as inclusive as possible.
As long as everybody can have one I don’t see a problem.
36 holes is a young man’s game and I do think there is an advantage .
I would ask why they changed their policy.

Swango1980

Visit site
Absolute disgrace that a doctor's time needs to be taken up with something like this IMO.
Surely a member saying they have a relevant health condition should suffice.
Personally, I wouldn't care if they had no condition at all. I guess, from a social aspect, it isn't always great playing with someone in a buggy as they naturally tend to shoot off when tee shots played. But, not that bothered if they might be getting any advantage or not. A person playing with a set of custom fitted clubs probably has an advantage over slow swinged beginner with a set of old, extra stiff blades, but so be it.