Do you sell your old clubs or stockpile them in the loft?

iku

Head Pro
Visit site
In nearly two years of golf I have already a full second set from putter to driver hidden under the stairs... My excuse with the missus is that one day someone coming from very far will forget his gear at home and at that point my "spares" will come into the equation saving time and money to the poor fella.

Also is your bag always the same or you make according to course and weather?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
always used to keep old clubs but now with space at premium kids toys get preference to spare kit so it gets moved on although i do have 18 clubs to chose from.

A

Alex1975

My buddy and I have a full set that we have put together for people who have come from aboard or as you say not been able to bring there clubs for whatever reason, anything of any good value gets sold now.

My Irons are away for a week now and I needed the spare set this weekend but my mates mate is over from Texas so maybe we need two loan sets....

StrangelyBrown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got some old Hippo irons that I'm about to donate to my mate but apart from that I get rid.

I normally need the cash to fund the purchase I've just made ;)

DCB

Visit site
Some things have been passed on, others are still in the garage and get an occasional airing just to see if they still work ;)

sona

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am a horder only brcause my old set of Mizuno Widec woods and irons are not worth selling even though they are in very good condition. I re-gripped them a few weeks ago as practice for my main playing set. I saw two sets go on Ebay and did not even get a bid.

I have three extra clubs within my current set that I select depending on course, weather and how well I am playing.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did keep my old irons and a couple of drivers until recently. Just In Case.

But as I hadn't used them in 18 months I decided to get rid and now a good few ££££'s better off as a result.

I think in future when I change, probably not soon as I'm happy with my bag, I'll get rid after a month.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Old putters I tend to hang onto as often a change sometimes has an (entirely pschological/imagined) positive effect so might put an old one back in the bag depending on green speeds etc.

Other clubs are still knocking about because I'm too lazy to sell or get rid.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I rarely get rid of Putters Ive used
And 2nd hand wedges dont have a great resale value
Ive 2 sets of irons, and I used to keep a driver if I bought another
But now Ive decided to always get rid of any previous drivers, to save the temptation of knowing u have a back-up, and instead perservere with the current one

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have sold them all and wish I had kept a few, namely my 2 cobra bafflers and my odyssey 2 ball belly putter, also my titleist 775cbs, erm think that will do

Just purchased a ping g10 driver (well my gf has for me bless her) but wont be selling the nike vr as I know once my ball striking improves off the tee it will be back in my bag. Unless the G10 is immense :)

Steve79

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ive got a collection building up in the corner of the bedroom as i simply cannot be bothered to put on ebay and i dont think i would get much for them anyway, with space being limited HID is obviously not too pleased about where they are being stored.

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sell/trade get rid, if I kept them id be constantly changing every 5 minutes.

I do hold on to wedges though as they wear out quick and the old ones can get used for practice etc.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I did have two sets complete and 3 golf bags. Just sold the set of irons and woods leaving me my new complete set and woods / wedges, still got 3 bags and a trolley.
The new set was my xmas gift to myself and i traded in my ugly Ping G10 irons to help fund the new set of Ci9

It is a real pain selling but i tend to experiment and if a success i keep if not back on ebay

Half the fun is buying new gear, its all part of the hobby for me !

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tend to sell, assuming I will expect a fair price for them. I have my old ping anser still from my teenage days. Wouldnt sell as although it must be 50 years old, it wouldnt fetch a very good price. Alas, it dosnt have Nicklaus or Slazenger printed on the head!

As far as choosing what clubs to use on a given day, the only change I might make is to stick the Ping 1 iron in and remove the hybrid if its really windy.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to stockpile them until HID loses patience and then I take them in person to Golfbidder and usually get an OK deal. At the moment I'm holding onto the TM TP's on the premise I'll get back to a level where I can use them and do them justice. I've an R7 Ltd driver (just in case), a couple of spare hybrids, some old Cleveland Hi Bore fairway woods, a 56 and 60 degree wedge and three or four putters left. The putters I'll keep as I like to keep the current model on its toes.