Do you enjoy playing in strong winds?

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I usually don't mind playing in any weather, heavy rain is annoying but if it starts mid round once you are wet you might as well carry on.

But the wind has been consistently strong every day now for what seems a month...my course is particularly affected by the wind being right next to the sea, has been 25mph+ winds daily...bag and trolley being blown over, balls being blown off the green...holes playing short or really long.

Has it been a particularly windy start to the year or is this time of year always like this?

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I usually don't mind playing in any weather, heavy rain is annoying but if it starts mid round once you are wet you might as well carry on.

But the wind has been consistently strong every day now for what seems a month...my course is particularly affected by the wind being right next to the sea, has been 25mph+ winds daily...bag and trolley being blown over, balls being blown off the green...holes playing short or really long.

Has it been a particularly windy start to the year or is this time of year always like this?

I joined my course last Feb, and quickly discovered that the winter months meant the course was particularly windy. The final stretch of 5 holes are all into the wind, which means the final 5 holes seem like a right slog. It's tough, especially if you've got a good score going, but it is what it is!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I think the wind has been particularly strong over the last month. I don't mind playing in strong winds but those you are describing go a little beyond that. Our course is up on a hill so when it's windy, then it can really blow.
The thing with strong wind is that if there is a deficiency in your ball strike, it gets exaggerated by the wind. Hooks and slices really go wild when hitting into the wind.
Putting over a wobbling ball is certainly distracting and having to account for the breeze even on your putts makes your life just that little more interesting. :D

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
604d3a8a1aab49d4978622e8cea040cb.png

Today's forecast. Seems like the norm hoping come first weekend in April it has died down as the new season begins!

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hate big wind, any sign of side spin and the balls a gonna. I've said countless times id sooner play in the rain.
Can't think of anything worse golf wise than a windy links course...
You'll get the cat 1 divvies on soon saying they love the challenge 😂

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
parkland - no wind
Links - yeah why not.

Hit quite a spinny high ball so not the best in the wind but I do enjoy the challenge - on a links anyways

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
parkland - no wind
Links - yeah why not.

Hit quite a spinny high ball so not the best in the wind but I do enjoy the challenge - on a links anyways

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Really dislike strong winds. Always play terribly in them, I seem to try and keep the ball low and just completely lose all ability to strike the ball for the rest of the round no matter what I try.

My course is by the sea and depending on wind direction it can cause quite a few issues, don't mind moderate wind but once it gets strong I just fall apart.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lol at dave. Wind over rain any day of the week.

Only thing is dislike is trying to talk over the wind to playing partners. Can reduce the socal aspect as it turns into an artic expedition, rather than a game of golf.

D

Deleted member 21258

I would not like to play week in week out in wind or rain. And wind/rain are a combination I would rather seat at home.

But absolutely love playing in wind, it just makes me laugh, when you see the ball balloon up or you hit a drive 180 yards out the middle or your better thinning a ball than launching it.

Great fun.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not particularly but it suits a low ball striker like me. I've gotten used to it over the years playing round the Norfolk coast where it's unavoidable. I do like how it puts some folks off and reduces the field a bit - Nicklaus was right :D

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Wind and rain are the worst combination for sure but I don't mind playing in those conditions, especially if playing against someone who hates them as I already see myself mentally as up in the game.
Good waterproofs, windproofs, shoes, gloves and hats are the key.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like playing in the wind and I'm not a naturally low ball hitter. Enjoy the fact you have to dial in your strike. It soon shows who the better ball strikers are playing into head winds on Par3's.
Also like being able to take one side of a hole out of play with cross winds. I would hazard a guess that I've scored better over winter when there has been a strong wind. Last weeks -5 gross was shot in strong winds.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Think wind is relative. A windy day at my course is flags being blown out of holes.

A windy day to a friend of mine who lives inland is 15 mph, which to me is a normal game.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Playing on a desolate upland course overlooking the North Sea with about 5 trees on it you wouldn't play much if you didn't play in the wind. There's a psychological line at around 20 to 25 mph above which I won't play. Also the temperature has a lot to do with it. I might be happy to play on a mild windy day but not when it's really cold.

Forecast for tomorrow & Saturday is for 5 & 2 mph. That'll do nicely!

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like playing in the wind and I'm not a naturally low ball hitter. Enjoy the fact you have to dial in your strike. It soon shows who the better ball strikers are playing into head winds on Par3's.
Also like being able to take one side of a hole out of play with cross winds. I would hazard a guess that I've scored better over winter when there has been a strong wind. Last weeks -5 gross was shot in strong winds.

Show off :p

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I would say I used to be a fair weather golfer. I'd always check out the window before I made my mind up on whether I'd want to play.

Having been batter in the recent Kent meet I found a sadistic pleasure form it. Now, whilst I'd still rather a warm calm day. 20/30mph which is as bad as it generally gets at my place is actually quite fun. Just need to improve the wardrobe with some windproofs.