DIY q, screw removal.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got a pair of internal French door to take off this weekend and just had a look at the hinges and the screws are caked in paint , so I need to get this off before I can get to the heads, but got a feeling they are going to be a bugger to get out. Any tips to try and lossen them before I get the screwdriver on them ? They are slots rather than Philips, so will.be quite easy to bigger up.
Ta

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
get a screwdriver that fits well (then have it on the screw and hit the driver with a hammer to shock the screw and hopefully break any corrosion etc in the thread)
get some plusgas/wd40 on them (try and spray behind the head)
Dont use a power drill (at least to start them off)
An Impact driver can be a very good way to start (like this https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand...-advanced--impact-driver-and-bits-178172.html )

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Scrape/'chisel as much paint off first then try to turn the screw slightly clockwise as if tightening to break the seal. Be especially careful if the screws are brass rather than steel.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As above but clear to old paint out of the slot with a small screwdriver (or similar) first.
Also, it might be worth trying one firm 'screwing in' after the hammer blow above.
Edit. Hadn't seen #3 above

D

Deleted member 3432

Get an screwdriver and hammer, hold screwdriver at a very slight angle so you are using one edge of screwdriver head and use hammer to tap handle of screwdriver from one side of screw head to another to remove as much paint as possible from slot.

Another option here if you dont have an old screwdriver is to use a stanly knife to scrape the paint out of the slot. Whichever method you need to get as much paint out as possible.

Best way to loosen screws is now to tighten slightly to break paint seal and then loosen screw.

I was a joiner for 20 years and this always worked for me.

Plenty of videos on youtube

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
get a screwdriver that fits well (then have it on the screw and hit the driver with a hammer to shock the screw and hopefully break any corrosion etc in the thread)
get some plusgas/wd40 on them (try and spray behind the head)
Dont use a power drill (at least to start them off)
An Impact driver can be a very good way to start (like this https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand...-advanced--impact-driver-and-bits-178172.html )

Agree with all this provided the "screws" are actually set screws into metal - in which case I would add to leave the penetrating fluid for a few minutes to give it the chance to actually penetrate. Heat is also your best friend in stubborn metal fixings.

However, I suspect they are woodscrews into a wooden frame? In which case the correct size of blade on your driver and get that paint out first.

D

Deleted member 3432

Bottom left screw almost there, get the paint out of the corners, slight tighten and then it should unscrew ok.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Go around the hinges on the frame with a Stanley knife so when you remove the door it won’t pull the paint on the frame.
Get as much paint out of the slots in screws as you can.
Make sure your screwdriver is a good fit it makes it easier.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You could always resort to my preferred option in a situation like this..... pay a man (or a woman, I'm not sexist) to do it for you.