DIY Driver Repair, Advice/Ideas ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Need some ideas on best way to carry out a DIY repair to my driver. The tiny 'plug' seal has broken off mine (see below for the bit I'm talking about) so it has a small hole now and will obviously let water in etc so I want to cover it. Preferably semi-permanent

Ideas for what to use?
Thanks

IMG-20220426-WA0002.jpg

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ta, I wondered if that would dry too brittle, break off repeatedly and just need redoing?

I think it's just an epoxy that they use to seal it anyway. So a decent strength epoxy would do the job. Or, as someone said, a silicone adhesive like U-Pol Tiger Seal or CT-1 would do the job. Tiger Seal has held the front splitter of my car on for 2 years and counting and that will be under a shedload of strain.

Might be tricky to get your neck of the woods though (Amazon perhaps).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hot glue gun. It is what the manufacturers use.

2 pack epoxy is designed to bond 2 surfaces together and works by excluding air. When it is just applied to one surface it never sets properly and easily breaks off.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
They don't even explain why. :unsure::unsure:

'There is a hole under the cover that is used to put hot wax in, and without the cover, the driver has a hole in it which makes it non-conforming.'

But why is it non-conforming??
They did at the time I think. It was due to the driver not having been tested and approved like that, and the technical possibility that its COR or or spec would be altered. Thats why, had it come off during the round it would have been ok - legal starting out, but then damaged in play. It was starting out with it non compliant was where it hit him with dq.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
They don't even explain why. :unsure::unsure:

'There is a hole under the cover that is used to put hot wax in, and without the cover, the driver has a hole in it which makes it non-conforming.'

But why is it non-conforming??
I believe the bold bit is sufficient! From ancient memory of this incident, I believe that it's the fact that the club, as started with, could be adjusted during the round that makes it non-conforming. Had it happened during the round, the player could have continued with it - in its 'damaged' state. Had the cover of Howell's been replaced/sealed, it would have been ok. I'm not sure whether that's still the rule.

It's also annoying when the head devlops a rattle when old hot-melt, that has been squirted through the port, comes loose!

To the OP. Your Pro should be able to solve it.

Last edited: