Divot Fixing Robot for Golf Courses

Cat5Can

Visit site
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on a project I am working on.

I am exploring the possibility of building a Robot that self drives around the golf course locating and filling in divots with divot mix (Sand, seed, soil, etc)

Here a link to the divot recognition algorithm we have built so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=cd9h9HDVX4I&feature=emb_logo

Is divot fixing a big pain point for Greens Keepers/ Golf Courses? What do you think about this idea?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)

888.png

Divot Robot

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your link does not work -just takes me to youtube

I presume it is able to differentiate between a divot hole (divots being the bit of soil that comes out of the ground) and a hole which is there deliberately such as a pop up sprinkler.
Will it recognise when players are playing a hole and get out the way?

Have you considered the Health and Safety aspect of having unmanned equipment loose on the course eg will it incorporate 'object' proximity detectors to be able to take appropriate avoiding action?

Have you considered aspects like it not falling down a hole or a slope, running in to a bunker.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH i can't see cluobs wh are already cash strapped paying for robots when i the can get Voluntee members or seasonal greenstaff to do it.

a non starter... i hope you were not going to call your company Skynet and the model the T800

Cat5Can

Visit site
Your link does not work -just takes me to youtube

I presume it is able to differentiate between a divot hole (divots being the bit of soil that comes out of the ground) and a hole which is there deliberately such as a pop up sprinkler.
Will it recognise when players are playing a hole and get out the way?

Have you considered the Health and Safety aspect of having unmanned equipment loose on the course eg will it incorporate 'object' proximity detectors to be able to take appropriate avoiding action?

Have you considered aspects like it not falling down a hole or a slope, running in to a bunker.

Hi There,

Try this link

Yes It can tell the difference in holes and divots fairly well at the moment, but the more time it spends in a live environment the better it will get at recoginising divots (Machine Learning)

For a players point of view and in fact health and safety - I would plan on having the robots operate on the course at night time. And maybe during the day time, I could have it perform a different task such as collecting balls at the driving range.

I have thought a little about slopes and this should be okay... but I had not thought about bunkers thanks for this! could be difficult.

Anything else I should know?

Many Thanks

Cat5Can

Visit site
TBH i can't see cluobs wh are already cash strapped paying for robots when i the can get Voluntee members or seasonal greenstaff to do it.

a non starter... i hope you were not going to call your company Skynet and the model the T800

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

That's fair enough.. I just heard some courses have to pay people to go out on the course even if it is seasonally.

hahaa ill leave Skynet to someone else.

What if the robots collected balls at the driving range as well as divots? Would this make more sense economically?

Many thanks

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
again, i'm not sure many clubs will pay for eq to collect balls when thay already have the means to do it.

mine for instance, we dont charge for balls, the guy from the shop goes out twice a day all does it with an attachemnt that goes on a buggy, if they run out of balls he goes out and gets more. again in theory it sounds a good idea, but clubs will have to pay out to buy Eq when they already have staff to do the jobs

Cat5Can

Visit site
again, i'm not sure many clubs will pay for eq to collect balls when thay already have the means to do it.

mine for instance, we dont charge for balls, the guy from the shop goes out twice a day all does it with an attachemnt that goes on a buggy, if they run out of balls he goes out and gets more. again in theory it sounds a good idea, but clubs will have to pay out to buy Eq when they already have staff to do the jobs

Okay that makes sense,

How long does it take each time the guy from the shop goes out to collect all the balls?

Cheers

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Okay that makes sense,

How long does it take each time the guy from the shop goes out to collect all the balls?

Cheers
5 to 10 mins at most, thats at the weekend during the week when we have a load of visitors the handiman collects balls from the shortgame area and collects balls too during the day