Division split

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whats the right way to split the field into say 3 divisions for a LD contest within a comp? Would you use the HI? CH or PH? to define the split?

I dont need to worry about the competition itself as the software will auto balance and create 3 equal sized divisions for the normal prizes but that's after the comp has finished. With the LD comp I need to advise up front what the divisions are ie 0-12. 13-19, etc so we can put markers out on the course.

To get the most equal split I would have to use HI but do you seriously have boards to show 0-11.3, 11.4 to 19.2, 19.3+ ?

Which brings me on to using round numbers, I cant get 3 equal sized buckets but I guess that's sometimes unavoidable. question is do you use CH or PH to sort?

D

Deleted member 23270

Age groups?

Yoofs, respectable middle aged gentlemen and wrinklies?

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
A case could be made for all 3 I guess.

HI could cause confusion with decimal places and its not necessarily on the card but its fairest in the sense that you can get very close (if not exact) to 3 equal sized buckets.

CH seems the most logical because its the only HC that has to be on the card

But most people think about their PH in comps so will probably run with that. :unsure:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
My experience is that ability as defined by handicap is no determination of driving distance....I know 20+ handicappers that can stick the ball out there 280 yrds....not necessarily in a predictable direction mind. Likewise I know lots of single figure golfers who hit a nice consistent 220-230yds in a straight line.

Personally I like DaveR's suggestion...and include a Ladies LD if its a mixed event.