Dispersion cone

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
strategy-blog-1365x2048.jpg
I’ve just discovered that Shotscope now has a dispersion cone in their Strategy feature. Similar to what Decade golf/Sidekick have been pushing.
(Full details: https://shotscope.com/blog/announcements/mystrategy-ultimate-course-guide/)

Has anyone seen it in any other apps? Don’t think Arcos or Gamegolf have it, which is strange given it’s useful and is trivial to implement.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I suspect my dispersion doesn't look like a cone, If I hit it a long way it is relatively straight.
Short shots can be pushed and pulled significantly off line.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
strategy-blog-1365x2048.jpg
I’ve just discovered that Shotscope now has a dispersion cone in their Strategy feature. Similar to what Decade golf/Sidekick have been pushing.
(Full details: https://shotscope.com/blog/announcements/mystrategy-ultimate-course-guide/)

Has anyone seen it in any other apps? Don’t think Arcos or Gamegolf have it, which is strange given it’s useful and is trivial to implement.

I have the Decade app and it has a feature where you can set the dispersion based on your own pattern and it'll show you the cone over each hole on any course. Great feature when planning lines off the tee. I must've paid for a Decade trial at one point but this feature is still accessible even though I don't pay.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not to pee on anyone's chips but that just seems a bit of an unnecessary gimmick to me. Aren't we capable of looking at a hole, seeing where we're likely to miss and aiming accordingly?

sjw

Visit site
I mean, if the cone of dunshire dispersion is wider than the fairway on both sides, what do you do then? Just aim up the middle as normal? 😄
You look at the cone and see what it encompasses, then look at the cone for the next club down, and if it still encompasses the same trouble, blast the first option

I quite like it but I haven't made full use of it yet. It is handy for a course you haven't played before though

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd love a practice aid that could map the cone of dispersion in practice. I know if I log onto the trackman app when I go to my local range I get it but it would be great to use for things like pitching practice to see how close and wide to targets you were

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not to pee on anyone's chips but that just seems a bit of an unnecessary gimmick to me. Aren't we capable of looking at a hole, seeing where we're likely to miss and aiming accordingly?
It’s useful to me as it shows the shot dispersion width at the target area, e.g. I need 50 yds of safe width (doesn’t have to be fairway) at 250 yds to take a driver comfortably. I used to go and measure the width on Google Earth. It’s much better and easier to do it with that “cone”. It is also great to then change the club and see what trouble it brings into play.

The main strategy point it helps to visualise is how to avoid a lost ball penalty. I know on where the penal (waist high) rough starts - this can show me how much of it is in my dispersion cone - so I can decide if it’s worth taking the risk or not.

Decade also suggests that sometime it can help to choose a non obvious target line.

Your mileage can vary :)