Disastrous Irons!

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In the last month, my irons have became apocalyptically bad. Don't know how or why, something is just not right.

Played a couple of weeks ago, and posted an 86. A few pushes here and there, but was swinging well. Last week there were some issues with the irons, shanking a perfect-lie 8-iron OoB on the 1st, and going on to hit a dozen shanks and duffs in the round.

Slightly hungover, yesterday I went to the club and planned on playing in the club comp. After shanking, duffing or topping probably 55 out of 60 range balls, I decided to save myself some dignity, and skulk off home and have a few beers.

Today, eager to defeat this terrible affliction, with a fresh mind I ventured to the local range after work, and with 8-iron in-hand, changed everything: stronger grip, weaker grip, closed stance, open stance, steeper plane, shallower plane, closed face, open face, more in-out path, more out-in path, hitting it on the toe, and so forth. All of which resulted in the same old shank.

If only it was the odd one. It's not. It's 9/10 iron shots :eek:. In the last few days, I've probably hit 200 range balls, 180 of which would have been shanks. It's getting quite frightening.

The crazy thing is that my driving and short-game are the best they ever had been. At the range, guys were sniggering at my multitude of 8-iron shanks, only for me to pick up the driver and hit endless perfect 250-yard draws.

The club pro and other guys at the club tell me I have a remarkably beautiful and smooth swing, but with confidence at rock-bottom, I feel like every part of my swing is working on a different wavelength. Synchronisation is just non-existent.

At the moment, I just can't hit an iron, literally. No matter what I try, it just peels off to the right. Even good strikes end up 10-20yds to the right of the target.

I'm thinking of either getting lessons, hitting endless range balls until I sort myself out, or taking a few weeks break from golf, and hope muscle-memory takes me back to my former glory.

Any advice, tips, or wise words?

1948griff

Medal Winner
Visit site
Suffered with that myself apart from the 250 yard draw drives. Try
hitting a seven iron with half a swing and work from there.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lessons or video your swing would be where I would start. Shanks are very destructive. Rick Shiels on YouTube has just done a very good series on shanking, have a look at those as well as it might be something simple. I had a run of these years ago and it was simply that I was stood to close to the ball that was the problem.

beau d.

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Shanking an affliction which touches us all in our exploits on the course. So many fixes, so much to try...... However I feel 80 to 90% of shanking is caused by tension, either coming from the hands, not releasing the club or sometimes from the body moving into the shot. A good drill is to stand with your feet together and hit half shots with say an 8/9 Iron focusing on remaining still on the ball no swaying either on the backswing or @ contact. Concentrate on being loose, particularly the hands, soften the grip and swing through the ball, resist any temptation to "hit" at the ball. Hope this helps and good luck......

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My swing has gone AWOL. Well not totally as there were still some nice shots yesterday but it always felt I was fighting it. I'd been to the range on Friday and Saturday and really hated the way I hit it. Left and right with no control and there were a few socket rockets in there too. It comes and goes and I haven't played enough so I am not too stressed. First lesson of the winter on Friday will cure my ills. There was a video by Bob Mc I think which had a good drill to fix the shanks. I'm sure someone will have a link.

RollinThunder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Shanking an affliction which touches us all in our exploits on the course. So many fixes, so much to try...... However I feel 80 to 90% of shanking is caused by tension, either coming from the hands, not releasing the club or sometimes from the body moving into the shot. A good drill is to stand with your feet together and hit half shots with say an 8/9 Iron focusing on remaining still on the ball no swaying either on the backswing or @ contact. Concentrate on being loose, particularly the hands, soften the grip and swing through the ball, resist any temptation to "hit" at the ball. Hope this helps and good luck......

I had the shanks a few months ago, but got over them straight away by adopting a Jason Dufner style waggle, which supposedly relieves the upper body of tension. Sadly, I can't get that to work now, but I will be having a go at that drill. Obviously something is happening in the swing which causes the clubhead to be around an inch further away from the body than it should be, so swaying is a strong possibility. I think the mind is getting in the way at the moment, the more frustrated I become, the more difficult it is to keep loose.

It comes and goes and I haven't played enough so I am not too stressed. First lesson of the winter on Friday will cure my ills. There was a video by Bob Mc I think which had a good drill to fix the shanks. I'm sure someone will have a link.

I'm only playing around once a fortnight at the moment, as opposed to 3-times a week in the summer. I've seen a few drills, like the "gateway drill", and blocking the swing path. I tried the gateway drill yesterday, but somehow managed to shank the middle ball into the top ball :eek:. Luckily we now have plenty of time to sort our games out before it gets serious again :D

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You may want to give this a try.

When at the range put a long rubber tee in a mat. Place your ball around an inch inside the tee, then strike the ball so you don't hit the tee. It will force you to swing the club on an inside path and away from the hozel, imagine you want to strike the ball more towards the toe. Repeat many times.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You may want to give this a try.

When at the range put a long rubber tee in a mat. Place your ball around an inch inside the tee, then strike the ball so you don't hit the tee. It will force you to swing the club on an inside path and away from the hozel, imagine you want to strike the ball more towards the toe. Repeat many times.

This works, another one I find cures shanks instantly is setting with the ball at the hossle of the club and try to hit it, it forces you to bring the hands in tighter and works a treat, if it doesn't work set two balls up about 3 inches apart, set up to the out ball, hit the inner one

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been playing golf for some 20+ years now and have had my fair share of the shanks. The one drill i have found that i have practiced and has worked is the one given by Leadbetter of all people. Similar to the above is to address the ball in the heel of the club and try to hit it off the toe with a bit more weight towards your heels. sorry I can't do links but it is on youtube.

D

Deleted member 15344

Go to a pro and have a lesson and he can hopefully see what is giving you the lambs

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
had the same thing happen to me - think i am over it.

for me the solution was to turn my hips more. what appeared to go wrong with me was i was turning my shoulders and my hips were only turning a little. This may suit a pro, but it made my backswing balamce unstable and my weight ended up on my toes. I tried sticking my backside out more and let my hips turn and everything improved.

I also try to keep my arms connected to my chest as sometimes they can come away from you body and you try to compensate. As previoud poster said tension and fear/dread certainly plays a part. Agree on the half swings to get confidence and before long you will forget all about them.

You're not the first and wont be the last to hit the ole socket shot, it will go as quick as it came.
cheers
power fade

norbs

Hacker
Visit site
Have to agree with the guys about standing too close to the ball. It's so easy to do without realising it and is the first thing I change if I hit a couple of shanks. It's always rectified it for me.

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
At the moment I'm struggling with hitting the ground before the ball. Not something I've ever encountered before and it is screwing with my head somewhat - don't have any confidence when standing over the ball with an iron at the moment.

Irons used to save my game leaving me to duff my drives, chips and putts; now my driving is ok and putting has improved but my iron play has gone down the toilet :/

Hogieefc

Club Champion
Visit site
I`m with Powerfade on this one, stick your backside out as if you are going to sit on a stool, worked for me when i had the dreaded.
Failing that pack in golf and i will have your clubs off you at asda price ;)

Spikey

Visit site
Same for me last week - managed 8 whole points round Lindrick - couldn't hit an iron to save my life. Driving pure and long; irons were shanked, duffed, topped, slapped, anything but where I wanted them to go. Apparently, I was coming massively from the inside.
Believe it or not, I put it down eventually to the first round of the winter wearing a compression top. Played the next day (without the UnderArmour) and was fine. Make if that what you will ..........