Different shafts

G1z1

Visit site
Do shafts play a big part in a fitting and how important is picking the right shaft ? Went for a fitting today and I was right on the limit for either a reg or stiff shaft. Fitter had me hitting both shafts and said there really wasn’t much in it at all but he did say reg shafts are generally more forgiving. How true is that statement? I have to decide this week on a shaft and I’m really not sure what to go with.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are on the border, then he presumably means that some of your bad swings won't get enough out of a stiff, but will do fine with a reg, and you probably won't overpower the regular even with a good swing. Shaft weight is another factor. A slightly lighter shaft is easier to move, so a 60g R and a 50g S may play similarly. Or may not, people are weird.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
For some players they can make a big difference but for others not so much, a lot depends on how much or little you stress the shaft. In general you should play the softest shaft you can control but if you are planning on increasing your clubhead speed over the next year or two I would gravitate towards the stiffer shaft.

Neeko1988

Visit site
This to me doesn’t sound like a very good fitting. There are so many different factors in a shaft other than flex. Weight, kick point, torque etc.

Surely to just say you could be a stiff or regular is very vague. One manufacturers stiff could be close to another’s Reg etc.

I’d get a better fitting.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Do shafts play a big part in a fitting and how important is picking the right shaft ? Went for a fitting today and I was right on the limit for either a reg or stiff shaft. Fitter had me hitting both shafts and said there really wasn’t much in it at all but he did say reg shafts are generally more forgiving. How true is that statement? I have to decide this week on a shaft and I’m really not sure what to go with.
You seem to be a 'beginner' (at least from your hcap info in sig). Do you feel you are swinging fast currently? Do you think you will swing faster soon? How did Reg shaft feel compared to Stiff? Could you tell the difference?

evemccc

Visit site
If you’re in Scotland and you doubt the recommendations of the fitting you had, then I would go to see Scott Gourlay - I imagine it’d be worth it and would put your mind at rest as he’s supposed to be up there with the best

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you are on the border, then he presumably means that some of your bad swings won't get enough out of a stiff, but will do fine with a reg, and you probably won't overpower the regular even with a good swing. Shaft weight is another factor. A slightly lighter shaft is easier to move, so a 60g R and a 50g S may play similarly. Or may not, people are weird.

100%. I dropped from a 65g stiff to a 50g stiff, noticeable change.

I think a lot of shaft fitting are stock shafts in common weights, crossfield bloody videos got me trying different things…. AGAIN!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
100%. I dropped from a 65g stiff to a 50g stiff, noticeable change.

I think a lot of shaft fitting are stock shafts in common weights, crossfield bloody videos got me trying different things…. AGAIN!
It's an expensive disease! But good fun too.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Depends who you ask.
I think for club golfers they make very little difference, unless you go to extremes of weight.

I think alot is preference on feel until you get to certain speeds. Arguably I am no doubt in the same category as the op but I just don’t like the feel of a regular

G1z1

Visit site
You seem to be a 'beginner' (at least from your hcap info in sig). Do you feel you are swinging fast currently? Do you think you will swing faster soon? How did Reg shaft feel compared to Stiff? Could you tell the difference?
Yes definitely still a beginner, been playing 15 months and just now feel as if I’m starting to get a bit of consistency and understanding golf a bit better now. So I don’t know if my swing will get any faster or if I even want it to, my current swing feels natural and really quite steady. As for feel I honestly couldn’t tell the difference and fitter suggested maybe going with the reg but he did say numbers were very similar with the stiff so it would just be down to preference

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Some things to factor in is are you an improving or a declining player, are you younger likely to get fitter or older and the reverse.

If likely to see improvements I would go with the stiff.

I do not see staff stiffness as a factor in shot forgiveness.

G1z1

Visit site
Some things to factor in is are you an improving or a declining player, are you younger likely to get fitter or older and the reverse.

If likely to see improvements I would go with the stiff.

I do not see staff stiffness as a factor in shot forgiveness.
I went in to see the pro ive been rgetting lessons from he said go stiff as he thinks I’m only going to get faster.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have had numerous fittings over the year and using trackman or GC quad most of my fitters have said I am border line R and S. These were in various shafts including KBS and True Temper and while there is no industry standard I could easily have gone down either road. I opted for R flexes each time as I was nervous that on a bad swing day the S would hurt me even more. As I am getting older if I go for a fitting for new clubs again (which would probably be my last) I would be keen to go down the graphite route. That could well take me into the S field or it might go the other way into a lighter flex. The bottom line is get yourself to a reputable fitter, try as many as you can and don't be afraid to ask the fitter about why he giving you each option to to try and what he is looking to see