Diesel fuel prices - regional varients

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
The household energy price thread has just reminded me...

Would be interested to see what the price of fuel is near you...

Where i am, Newbury, there are only 4 petrol stations in the hole town (2 x supermarket, 2 x traditional)

They all are the same price, diesel is £1.439 per litre. i think that stinks of price fixing. Last week was in Kingston and then Fulham and both of those places were at £1.399 maximum.

How much is diesel near you?

Do you think that national companies should have a blanket national price, or do you think its right they can charge more where they can?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Where i am, Newbury, there are only 4 petrol stations in the hole town (2 x supermarket, 2 x traditional)

They all are the same price, diesel is £1.439 per litre. i think that stinks of price fixing. Last week was in Kingston and then Fulham and both of those places were at £1.399 maximum.

Do you think that national companies should have a blanket national price, or do you think its right they can charge more where they can?

I filled up on Sunday and i think it was 137.9 at tesco retail park.

Pippo_T

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Supermarkets near us are between 1.379 and 1.389. Other stations vary.

Some areas of land to lease will be higher than others, like motorway service stations, so I don't think there can be a blanket national price. Also each station setting their own prices probably keeps prices down overall as it increases competition, I guess it's unfortunate that you live in an area where none of the stations seem keen to compete.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
appreciate that motorway services will always be higher, wasnt looking at comparing those. I suppose more the supermarkets.. i thought i read somewhere a while back that Asda were doing blanket pricing, but we dont have one of those near!

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Asda in Park Royal is 137.7p.... The Shell garage on the A40 [Park Royal] in front of where I work is 140.9p... BP garage on the A40 at Perivale its 143.9p... Fair difference in pricing in a fairly small area... So don't think the 'problem' is necessarily regional alone...

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site

Was amazed over the "summer" that it was cheaper to fill up in London on my way up to the North-West than to put half a tank in the South and another half in when I turned round and came back!

Surprised at the number of time I see 2 petrol stations close together on the same road and there 2-3p/l difference!

Last edited:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was amazed over the "summer" that it was cheaper to fill up in London on my way up to the North-West than to put half a tank in the South and another half in when I turned round and came back!

Surprised at the number of time I see 2 petrol stations close together on the same road and there 2-3p/l difference!

what do you drive a Prius? a full tank each way for the TT when I go to Cumbria visiting my mum lol

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
1.40-1.44 for diesel and 1.33 95 oct and 1.40 for super unleaded. Pity they couldnt even drop it to a quid a litre, country would be back up on its feet in no time.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our price at work, Gulf station, is 139.9, 2p dearer than the local supermarkets and unleaded is 131.9 matching their price.
Why does anyone use supermarket fuel anyway?
Cheaper it may be but there is a reason for that. They don't put in the quantity or quality additives into their fuel that regular petrol stations do. This results in a loss of power, increased fuel consumption and increased wear on the internal components of your engine. I can guarantee you will see a reduction in your fuel consumption which is vastly superior to the cost savings of using supermarket fuel. When I tested it last year on a long run to Scotland and back I used 20% more fuel using supermarket fuel. I must admit before this unplanned test I was a sceptic too now there is absolutely no chance I would use that stuff again.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our price at work, Gulf station, is 139.9, 2p dearer than the local supermarkets and unleaded is 131.9 matching their price.
Why does anyone use supermarket fuel anyway?
Cheaper it may be but there is a reason for that. They don't put in the quantity or quality additives into their fuel that regular petrol stations do. This results in a loss of power, increased fuel consumption and increased wear on the internal components of your engine. I can guarantee you will see a reduction in your fuel consumption which is vastly superior to the cost savings of using supermarket fuel. When I tested it last year on a long run to Scotland and back I used 20% more fuel using supermarket fuel. I must admit before this unplanned test I was a sceptic too now there is absolutely no chance I would use that stuff again.

Sorry dude, I have to disagree, my dad used to work for Exxon chemicals. They produce a large % of the additive packs used by the UBS petrol stations. They are all the same. I also have friends that still work there and at other petrol/refinery businesses.

Back in the day, supermarket fuel was sub standard, due to the poor conditions of their tanks and pumps. All change these days!

Ps. I am talking regular diesel and regular unleaded. Things like shell v power are different. Although tesco super octane was fine and dandy in my old m3....

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got three letters for you my friend L P G.

70p per litre. My works Mercedes cls500 gets 39 mpg on a run so getting that at nearly half price of petrol is the equivalent to nearly 75mpg. On the other end of the scale, the company rover 75 is exactly the same on a run but slightly better round the doors at 60mpg equivalent

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry dude, I have to disagree, my dad used to work for Exxon chemicals. They produce a large % of the additive packs used by the UBS petrol stations. They are all the same. I also have friends that still work there and at other petrol/refinery businesses.

Back in the day, supermarket fuel was sub standard, due to the poor conditions of their tanks and pumps. All change these days!

Ps. I am talking regular diesel and regular unleaded. Things like shell v power are different. Although tesco super octane was fine and dandy in my old m3....

So your saying that the 20 odd people who used to use supermarket fuel who have done milage comparisons are ALL wrong?
I also know someone who put it in their car as they were desperate so only put enough in to get to our garage and hiw car was knocking before he got half way, after putting in some decent fuel and leaving the car to tick over for 10 minutes it was fine again. I'm not going to argue with you but from mine and many other peoples experiences have all shown supermarket fuels not to be to the same standard or even close.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
So your saying that the 20 odd people who used to use supermarket fuel who have done milage comparisons are ALL wrong?
I also know someone who put it in their car as they were desperate so only put enough in to get to our garage and hiw car was knocking before he got half way, after putting in some decent fuel and leaving the car to tick over for 10 minutes it was fine again. I'm not going to argue with you but from mine and many other peoples experiences have all shown supermarket fuels not to be to the same standard or even close.

We can agree to disagree i think. BTW what car was your mate driving to start knocking after a short time? A model T ford? Cant recall hearing knocking on a car since i drove round in a 1974 mini with an A series engine! didn't know knocking still occurred on modern cars!