Desperate Golfers

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How far would you go in order to find a course that wasn't closed due to flooding ?

My home course has been under water for nearly a week now,and probably under for another week after last nights rain.Yesterday a friend of mine asked if i'd like to join him for a round at his home course (Maxstoke Park).We left Coventry at 7.00 am this morning and arrived at Maxstoke at 7.30 am to find the car park empty,and the course covered in puddles.After speaking with the greenstaff we had our worse fears confirmed,course closed.Undetered,we drove down the road to the Forest of Arden,we could see huge puddles on the Aylesford course as we neared the entrance,and after driving down the entrance road,we could see the pond in front of the 12th green on the Arden course,was now a lake stretching 50 yards up the fairway ! It was obvious we needed to head back towards Coventry where several course's are built on sand and gravel,and usually much better draining.After trying 3 more course's and finding them closed,we were starting to lose hope,when i had a brainwave "Whitefields ! lets try Whitefields,it never close's due to flooding" WRONG.Now on the verge of giving up,and facing the prospect of Christmas shopping with our beloveds,we sat in the car desperately thinking of anywhere that may be open."Kilworth Springs !" my friend shouted at me,"lets go then" i replied.With fingers, toes,and anything else we could think of crossed,we drove towards Leicestershire praying that we may be lucky enough to get a game.As we turned into the car park at Kilworth,we were overjoyed to see golfers heading towards the first tee,maybe just maybe the golfing gods would smile upon us ? After recieving a very warm welcome,and a pleasant smile from the young lady in the pro shop,we were told they were in the middle of there winter league tee times,but that she would try and squeeze us in.After nearly 3,1/2 hopurs,and a drive of almost 90 miles,we were called to the first tee by the starter.Amazingly after all the rain,the course was in remarkably good shape,and except for standing water in some of the bunkers,it looked as though it hadn't had a drop of rain !!

An absolute nightmare start to the day,that had a happy ending.
Many thanks to Kilworth Springs staff and members.

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I cant help thinking a few phone calls may have been easier, but well done for getting a game anyway