Decent-ish clubs/irons for beginner?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi newb here, I hope this isn't one of those "aaargh, not this question again" type threads but here goes anyway.

I've recently started playing golf again after about a 15 year layoff, I was never any good back then and by the looks of it I'm just as bad now lol.
The missus and I have joined a local club and use their practice facilities on a weekend and I'm after a set of second hand clubs to get to grips with.
A set of irons and a putter would suffice for now and would save the missus and I sharing clubs which can be a chore when I'm 70 yards further down the fairway ;)

I've been looking locally for some irons which are suitable for high handicappers like myself, so far I've discovered some Callaway X-18 and Mizuno T Zoid irons local to me at a decent price (well under £100).
It seems a bit of a minefield and both seem to have decent reviews but essentially I'm wanting to know which clubs would suit my level and do more expensive clubs with all the clever gadgety stuff really help your game?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Martyn

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome

The X18s would be fine, they are a decent set of game improver irons and would be one of the first options recommended on here if you look at some of the previous threads of a similar vein

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pop down your local pro shop and ask what they have in second hand. You get to try it, you get some free advice and you help out a local business.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the reply mate, the X18s also come with a bag, Big Bertha driver and 3 wood which is a bonus so I was kind of leaning towards those anyway. Just didn't want to buy something totally duff though.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the reply mate, the X18s also come with a bag, Big Bertha driver and 3 wood which is a bonus so I was kind of leaning towards those anyway. Just didn't want to buy something totally duff though.

the woods are a little out of date but there are plenty still using them and if getting them cheap, then the worst case is you'll be able to sell them on again for all but what you paid for them

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks again.
I wasn't really planning on using the woods just yet as it's only par 3's we are playing but as you say I could always pass them on.

Out of interest, which woods should I be looking at in the future, something obviously for my level which won't send my ball into the field next door each time I use them.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Look for a set of Wilson Staff Di7 irons or Mizuno MX100 they will cost approx £80 / £100 and are great GI clubs

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As Fundy said, any of the standard x series, x16. X18 etc are all very forgiving irons, just stay away from your models.

I'd push any new starter towards the x series, so forgiving

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hello and welcome enjoy!
Think the others have covered clubs, also worth considering have a few lessons to get a sound solid base to work from grip posture etc, your pro should be able to offer a decent deal for the pair of you.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah I'm thinking about having a few lessons, the missus has one a month through a client at work so I may try and tag along.
A friend I spoke to last night said his work pal has some Adams GT2 irons for sale, not sure if they are any better or worse than what I've already suggested. I had some photos of the X18's sent to me and they looked a bit tired from what I can tell so I may not bother with those.