David Lloyd - Sports Centres

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Is anyone a member of one of these?
Currently have an offer on of 14 days trial for £14.00.
They seem secretive about giving membership prices out over the phone and prefer to invite you in to their Clubs to discuss “your needs”

I’ve got one only 6 mile away, plenty of facilities, 2 Pools, Gym etc.
Just interested in any feedback before I decide whether to visit.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had one near us before we moved , went to an open day and was given a 2 week pass but we only went a couple of times , never used the pools so decided it would not be cost effective.
it was eye watering expensive compared to the gym we were already at , ~ 60 quid a month for the couples membership.

Wolf

Visit site
Done quite a bit of work in a few DL clubs, tend to be well looked after, often have good lounge facilities like food, coffee shops etc. Usually have good range of classes etc.

The reason they don't discuss prices over the phone is they want you in the place to get a feel and try sell it according to the benefits they think will be in your interest. Its worth taking the offer up to see what you think of it, just remember that overall it will likely be the most expensive facility in your area but just like golf membership it's what you think is VFM.

D

Deleted member 16999

I believe the 14 days for £14.00 is a national offer currently available to anyone.

D

Deleted member 1740

Is anyone a member of one of these?
Currently have an offer on of 14 days trial for £14.00.
They seem secretive about giving membership prices out over the phone and prefer to invite you in to their Clubs to discuss “your needs”

I’ve got one only 6 mile away, plenty of facilities, 2 Pools, Gym etc.
Just interested in any feedback before I decide whether to visit.

Minimum of £90 per month is for their decent level of membership. Off peak and non weekends are cheaper. I pay £20 for my gym that's got a pool,sauna,steam room and a decent sized gym.

Only downside theres no cafe 😁

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Think it's definitely one of those that if you use the pool and play some tennis or squash, it could work out ok - assuming you are using it a couple of times a week.

But never going to complete with just a straight forward Gym membership.

Was briefly a member of a Virgin Active (I think may now be nuffield) but ultimately similar idea in terms of higher cost, but more things. Very nice surroundings and great to not have to bother bringing your own towel, but could never justify the cost long term.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just because others go to the gym, it doesn't mean you have to.

Your alternative toolkit:
Just go for a walk. All you need is a pair of walking boots, waterproofs and possibly a guide book to local walks.
You'll discover places you never knew existed. Coastlines, hills, mountains, old railway lines, canals, riverbanks, fieldpaths, woodlands.
It's good for both your physical and mental wellbeing. You might even meet other walkers, some of whom are like you trying to get away from the dreaded gym.

Optionally you could also buy this book.
https://www.amazon.com/Get-Free-Ditch-Total-Fitness/dp/B005EP2D10

D

Deleted member 16999

Just because others go to the gym, it doesn't mean you have to.

Your alternative toolkit:
Just go for a walk. All you need is a pair of walking boots, waterproofs and possibly a guide book to local walks.
You'll discover places you never knew existed. Coastlines, hills, mountains, old railway lines, canals, riverbanks, fieldpaths, woodlands.
It's good for both your physical and mental wellbeing. You might even meet other walkers, some of whom are like you trying to get away from the dreaded gym.

Optionally you could also buy this book.
https://www.amazon.com/Get-Free-Ditch-Total-Fitness/dp/B005EP2D10
:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
My brother and his family are members, think it's £160 a month or similar - he plays tennis 3 times a week and they use it for swimming as a family, he thinks it's value for money. We looked at joining, but our closest one is a 15min drive, where as where we go now is a 5min walk and it wasn't worth it.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
From Harvard medical:
"In a study done at the University of British Columbia, researchers found that regular aerobic exercise, the kind that gets your heart and your sweat glands pumping, appears to boost the size of the hippocampus, the brain area involved in verbal memory and learning. Resistance training, balance and muscle toning exercises did not have the same results."
Which goes on to recommend brisk walking. One hour twice a week. Which also means you save on gym membership, travel costs, gels and so on.
How many people do I see driving to the gym, when they could have walked.
You may also have heard of the South African man who walked his way through Parkinson's disease, after being diagnosed with it 50 years ago.

D

Deleted member 16999

From Harvard medical:
"In a study done at the University of British Columbia, researchers found that regular aerobic exercise, the kind that gets your heart and your sweat glands pumping, appears to boost the size of the hippocampus, the brain area involved in verbal memory and learning. Resistance training, balance and muscle toning exercises did not have the same results."
Which goes on to recommend brisk walking. One hour twice a week. Which also means you save on gym membership, travel costs, gels and so on.
How many people do I see driving to the gym, when they could have walked.
You may also have heard of the South African man who walked his way through Parkinson's disease, after being diagnosed with it 50 years ago.
:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our local one - all of 5mins drive away - is superb. Fabulous indoor and outdoor facilities - but expensive. That's Surrey for you I suppose. My wife has been an occasional member but she just doesn't use the facilities it provides and that she paid for to justify the cost.

D

Deleted member 16999

Best thing about knowing a member is free parking a Exeter Chiefs :cool:, you no longer need a gym, you have retired.
Need to keep active mate, apparently all the caravanning and running is not good for me.:rolleyes:;)