David Beckham

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
He has managed to keep a surprisingly positive image with broad appeal despite a few missteps in PR terms. He does come across as somewhat self-effacing and a bit shy in public and talks about his kids a lot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1740

I never understood the criticism he used to get tbh, over rated as a player but still very good IMO.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
He crossed the boundary, quite deliberately, from sportsman to celebrity. We don't like those lines to be blurred, particularly whilst they are still playing. He played the pr game, worked the tabloids and made big money from it. We want our sportsmen to concentrate and be famous for their sport, not for being a celebrity.

I am not saying that is necessarily my view but I believe that is where the issue with Beckham comes from.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
He crossed the boundary, quite deliberately, from sportsman to celebrity. We don't like those lines to be blurred, particularly whilst they are still playing. He played the pr game, worked the tabloids and made big money from it. We want our sportsmen to concentrate and be famous for their sport, not for being a celebrity.

I am not saying that is necessarily my view but I believe that is where the issue with Beckham comes from.

I'd say it is more the intense rivalry football fans seem to think they need to have to show against opposition teams to prove how much they support their team. He played for Man U, therefore a lot of fans of opposing teams hated him for no other reason than he played for Man U. But the more enlightened ones realised he is a decent chap and did not hate him. Simples. ;)

I like the man, always have done even though I have no affection for Man U. I always get the impression he never takes himself very seriously, he knows his limitations on the pitch and intellectually, but worked very hard to get better. He is a family man (I believe he has a red line he won't cross in any promotion/sponsorship work he is doing where he has to be able to pick his kids up from school) and he always comes across very well. He was very good in the TV program where he played 7 matches in 7 days on 7 continents or whatever he did. On the way to becoming a national treasure..;)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think he's a genuinely nice person. I also think the celebrity part of his life has been controlled by others, especially 'Posh' , I somehow doubt if he would have strayed into that world by his own initiative.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
As a player overrated, when he was stood in a yoo Utd shirt. Don't even go there. When he was putting in around. Again don't even go there.
But as a person who is prepared to raise awareness for " issues" worldwide, as a person who has been able to make a career after a ltd football career. As a person who clearly loves his family. Yeah he's even growing on me.
Just wish he could make her smile.